University of California, San Diego
ADMINISTRATIVE COMPUTING & TELECOMMUNICATIONS
December 14, 1999
SUBJECT: Y2K Alert
As you get ready to celebrate the new year, we would like to provide you with one last notice regarding the Y2K issue.
After conducting extensive central system tests, we feel confident that the likelihood of a major Y2K-related campuswide impact is minimal. However, as general precautions, below are some guidelines regarding the New Year weekend:
1. In general, follow normal procedures for all activities. If you encounter an emergency situation, please call 911.
2. The UCSD toll-free emergency status phone line, will be kept updated if an emergency occurs - (888)308-8273.
3. If you encounter utility problems (e.g., electricity) please call Physical Plant Repair/Maintenance Service at (858)534-2930.
4. If you encounter computer, network, or phone problems please call the ACT helpdesk at (858)534-1853. Online central systems (IFIS, ISIS, PPS) will be available on January 1st during normal hours, starting at 7:00 am.
5. We recommend that special equipment (especially equipment which could release hazardous materials or initiate fires) that has not been tested for Y2K-readiness be turned off during the New Year weekend. Please check with your departmental technical coordinators for any special instructions.
6. It is possible that malicious attempts will be made to infect computers with new viruses over the Y2K weekend. We recommend, therefore, that personal desktop computers be turned off during that weekend unless they are needed for some business activity. Please check with your departmental technical coordinators for any special instructions.
7. System administrators are encouraged to conduct full server disk backups before 4PM on 12/31/99.
8. For any additional Y2K-related information, please visit the UCSD Y2K site (http://y2k.ucsd.edu).
I wish you and yours a safe, healthy, and happy New Year.
Hopefully, this is the last Y2K message you receive from us.