University of California, San Diego
January 12, 2001
SUBJECT: The UCSD 2000-2001 Exemplary Staff Employee of the
The purpose of this Notice is to announce the UCSD 2000-2001 Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program. This Program has been designed to recognize career employees in Professional and Support Staff categories who have demonstrated distinguished service and contributions to the UCSD and San Diego communities. Therefore, all members of the campus community are invited and encouraged to nominate and/or endorse the nominations of their staff colleagues who are deserving of this special acknowledgment.
A Review Panel of representatives chosen by their respective Vice Chancellors and the Director of Hospitals will evaluate all eligible nominations and recommend ten award recipients to Chancellor Robert C. Dynes. Accordingly, the ten employees will be recognized as follows: one award of $2,000 for the top "Exemplary Staff Employee" and nine awards of $1,000 for "Exemplary Staff Service." The names of the ten award recipients will be inscribed on the perpetual plaque, which is displayed prominently in the Human Resources Department reception area at Torrey Pines Center-South, Suite 265-A. The names of the ten Exemplary Staff Employees for fiscal year 2000-2001 will be announced in late March and awards will be presented by the Chancellor to each recipient during the annual Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Ceremony to be held in mid-April.
To ensure full consideration, please follow the Guidelines defined below and submit nominations by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 2, 2001. Completed nomination forms must be delivered to the Human Resources Department at Torrey Pines Center-South, Suite 265-A on or before the deadline. Nomination forms may be mailed to the Human Resources Department at mail code 0922; however, they must be received on or before the deadline. Electronic nominations will be considered, provided that all required forms and personal electronic endorsements from the Principal Nominator, and those of the First and Second Endorsers, are received in the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
EXEMPLARY STAFF EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR GUIDELINES
2. Nominees must have completed a probationary period, if required.
3. Nominees must have a current performance appraisal rating of Above Expectation or Exceptional.
4. Nominees must demonstrate exemplary performance of activities that are above and beyond the scope of assigned responsibilities. As an example, if the employee's job duties do not routinely include community service, but the employee represented the University in community service in an exemplary manner, this would qualify as appropriate for nomination.
5. Above Expectation or Exceptional performance of all assigned job duties is necessary in addition to other criteria to be considered for an award.
6. Nominations must include supporting statements. Nominations without supporting statements will not be considered.
1. A Principal Nominator and two endorsements are required for each nomination submitted for consideration.
2. An individual may serve as a Principal Nominator for only one nomination; however, a Principal Nominator may endorse other nominations.
3. All multiple nominations submitted by a single Principal Nominator will be invalidated.
4. The names of nominators will not be revealed and nominating materials will not be returned.
5. Submit only one employee on each nomination form.
6. Narrative statements must not exceed 500 words (e.g., 500 words for Part I of the Nomination Form and 500 words for Part II). Supplemental materials will not be considered.
The Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Nomination Form in PDF and Microsoft Word Formats, and Program related Frequently Asked Questions are accessible at: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/~qwl/index.html#2000-2001
During the January 12 - March 2, 2001 nominating period, the Human Resources Department will offer information sessions (including questions and answers) on the Campus, at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO), and at UCSD Healthcare's Hillcrest Medical Center. Reservations are not required for the sessions, which will be held as follows:
Inquiries regarding the Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program, or to request nomination forms or the scheduling of additional information sessions, should be directed to Jonnie Craig-Winston, Director of Policy Development and Quality of Work/Life at (858) 534-9659 or email@example.com.