University of California, San Diego
February 15, 2001
SUBJECT: Background Checks Information Request for CUE
Background checks (i.e., criminal conviction record checks), are intended to serve as an important part of promoting a safe work environment; protecting key organizational interests such as people, property and information; and for enabling hiring supervisors to make prudent hiring decisions based upon more comprehensive job related information.
To comply with the UC and CUE collective bargaining agreement, the campus must provide to CUE through UCOP, a list of classification titles represented by CUE and incumbent employee names for positions designated as critical and subject to background checks (i.e., a criminal conviction record check). Designating a position as critical does not mean that a background check is required at this time, but will provide the option to conduct a check in the future.
Please review each CUE represented job description in your department. If any one of the following functions exist in the position, the job description should designate the position as "critical":
1. Key control (access to residences, key control/access, access to master keys).
2. Cash handling (cash and cash equivalents, including access to credit card information in access of $500/week, purchasing cards).
3. Access to confidential records (PPS, ISIS, medical records).
4. Access to controlled substance and/or hazardous material/chemicals.
5. Fiduciary responsibilities (access to credit card information of students, staff, customers, or donors; authorization, initiation and/or approval of expenditure transactions, purchasing card authorization, initiation or approval of transfers of funds or transfers of expenditures).
6. Property custodianship (responsibility for supplies, stock, and/or inventory with value exceeding $1000).
For any critical position identified, list the classification title and the name of the incumbent on the form below under the appropriate critical function. If background checks have been conducted in the past or will be conducted in the future for the position, answer "Yes" in the "Conducting Check" column. If background checks have not been conducted in the past for the position and there is no plan to conduct a background check in the future, answer "No" in the same column,
Please return to Human Resources by close of business Friday, February 23, 2001, via e-mail to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please contact Pat Wong at extension 42820 or Becky Skov at extension 0279.
CRITICAL FUNCTION POSITION INCUMBENT CONDUCTING CHECK
Access to Confidential Records
Access to Controlled Substance/