University of California, San Diego
April 27, 2001
SUBJECT: Electronic Non-Payroll Expense Transfer (ENPET) Process
The Sponsored Project Excellence Achieved through Redesign (SPEAR) Group has developed a new cost transfer system to replace the existing process on May 1, 2001. The new system is referred to as the Electronic Non-Payroll Expense Transfer (ENPET) and has been designed to accelerate the process with improved accuracy and less effort. These improvements are expected to significantly reduce much of the frustration experienced by departments with the current process.
The new system is different from the current expense transfer process in the following ways.
1. The new process utilizes financial systems to capture data that exists electronically and eliminates the requirement for hardcopy support documentation where possible.
2. The new process categorizes transfers as high or low risk and streamlines the approval process.
3. The new process utilizes an email notification system to verify that expense transfers have been properly reviewed and approved by those responsible for the management of the funds (i.e., the principal investigators for contracts and grants, senior managers for state or University funds). The email will provide the detail of the cost transfer and a link to the detail support through FinancialLink's Ledger Annotator. Attachment I contains a sample of an Email ENPET Approval Notification.
To access the system, your starting point is in FinancialLink. Beginning May 1, you may get to the ENPET Transaction by using your Internet Explorer or Netscape browser and performing the following:
1. Go to http://financiallink.ucsd.edu
2. Click on the gold Transaction button in the blue sidebar.
3. In the "Financial Transactions" section, click on the "Electronic Non-Payroll Expense Transfer" selection.
For further information regarding the ENPET process you may refer to the following Web sites:
1. For training information and materials supporting the ENPET
2. For a draft of the campus PPM that is under Management review http://www-bfs.ucsd.edu/emf/policy/enpet_Index.htm
If you have questions, you may contact:
Miles Bowler, SPEAR Project Administrator
Lyle Kafader, ACT/SYSTEMS
Donna Mulcahy, HR Training Coordinator
ENPET Approval Notification
IF YOU APPROVE THIS EXPENSE TRANSFER, no further actions are required.
IF YOU DO NOT APPROVE, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR Business Office immediately. The Business Office will ensure that the Fund Manager takes the necessary action to cancel or reverse the charge.
For detail support of these transactions, you may access the following URL: PROVIDED by ENPET System, which allows you to access FinancialLink's Ledger Annotator.
NOTE: The originating department of an ENPET is the Office of Record. The Office of Record is responsible for: 1. Retaining an electronic or hard copy of this message to document the notification of the transaction to the approving authority, and 2. Retaining a hard copy of the following documents to support this ENPET in accord with University retention schedules: System identifies specific hard copy document support when it is not available electronically.