University of California, San Diego
July 27, 2001
SUBJECT: UCSD Environmental Policy
I would like to take this opportunity to affirm UCSD's commitment to protecting the environment and maintaining an environmentally sound campus. We all share the responsibility of safeguarding our environment through our activities and actions. The following environmental policy supports our commitment to environmental protection and it is my expectation that all at UCSD will provide stewardship of the environment. Therefore, as members of the campus community, I encourage you to review and familiarize yourselves with our Campus Environmental Policy.
UCSD ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
UCSD is committed to conducting its activities in a healthy, safe, and environmentally sound manner. This commitment is consistent with the University's mission of dedication to excellence in teaching, research, and public service.
Our goals are to integrate health, safety, and environmental stewardship into the UCSD culture and to conduct our operations in an environmentally responsible manner.
To assure this will occur, the UCSD community will:
· Conduct our operations in a manner that includes a pollution prevention program, minimizes the release of hazardous materials into the environment, conserves energy and resources, addresses past environmental issues, and meets established environmental targets.
· Educate faculty, staff and students to include environmental impacts and objectives into academic, business and operational decision-making. All UCSD faculty, researchers, staff and students are expected to support the implementation of this policy in accordance with their roles and responsibilities.
· Maintain compliance with applicable environmental laws and regulations; UCSD policies, procedures and guidelines; and other environmental commitments (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, National Institutes of Health grants, and Department of Defense).
· Measure environmental performance through regular auditing and assessment and take a proactive approach towards continual improvement.
· Establish an Environmental Management Council to assist in identifying environmental impacts and establishing environmental targets and objectives. Further, the Council will be responsible for reviewing and recommending changes to this policy to reflect changing perceptions and circumstances. The Council will also report annually to the Chancellor and the Vice Chancellors, via the Vice Chancellor - Business Affairs, on significant environmental impacts, objectives, and targets.
If you have any questions concerning this policy, please contact Larry Oberti, Environmental Issues Manager (41065) in Environment, Health and Safety.