University of California, San Diego
January 22, 2004
I am pleased to announce the nomination period for the UCSD 2003-2004 Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program. The Employee of the Year Program has been designed to recognize career employees in Professional and Support Staff (PSS) categories who have demonstrated distinguished service and contributions to the UCSD and San Diego communities. Therefore, all members of the campus community are invited and encouraged to nominate and/or endorse the nominations of their staff colleagues who are deserving of this special acknowledgment.
A Review Panel of representatives chosen by their respective Vice Chancellors and the Director of Hospitals will evaluate all eligible nominations and recommend ten award recipients to Acting Chancellor Marsha A. Chandler. Accordingly, the ten employees will be recognized as follows: one award of $2,500 for the Principal Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year and nine awards of $1,500 for "Exemplary Staff Employees of the Year." The names of the ten award recipients will be inscribed on the perpetual plaque, which is displayed prominently in the Human Resources Department reception area at Torrey Pines Center-South, Suite 265-A. In May 2004, the Acting Chancellor will present awards and gifts to each recipient during the annual Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Ceremony.
To ensure full consideration, please follow the Guidelines defined below and submit nominations by the deadline of 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 7, 2004. Completed nomination forms may be delivered to the Human Resources Department at Torrey Pines Center-South, Suite 265-A, or mailed to the Human Resources Department at mail code 0922. In addition, electronic nominations will be considered, provided that all required forms and personal electronic endorsements from the Principal Nominator, and those of the First and Second Endorsers, are received in the Human Resources Department at email@example.com by the Wednesday, April 7, 2004 deadline.
EXEMPLARY STAFF EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR GUIDELINES
1. Nominees must be career, Professional and Support Staff (PSS) members, and may be represented or non-represented. Members of the Managers and Senior Professional (MSP) and Senior Management Group (SMG) programs, and academics are not eligible to be nominated for this Program. However, they are eligible and encouraged to nominate and/or endorse Professional and Support Staff members.
2. Nominees must have completed a probationary period, if required.
3. Nominees must have a current performance appraisal rating of Above Expectation or Exceptional.
4. Nominees must demonstrate exemplary performance of activities that are above and beyond the scope of assigned responsibilities. As an example, if the employee's job duties do not routinely include community service, but the employee represented the University in community service in an exemplary manner, this would qualify as appropriate for nomination.
5. Above Expectation or Exceptional performance of all assigned job duties is necessary in addition to other criteria to be considered for an award.
6. Nominations must include supporting statements. Nominations without supporting statements will not be considered.
1. A Principal Nominator and two endorsements are required for each nomination submitted for consideration.
2. An individual may serve as a Principal Nominator for only one nomination; however, a Principal Nominator may endorse other nominations.
3. All multiple nominations submitted by a single Principal Nominator will be invalidated.
4. The names of nominators will not be revealed and nominating materials will not be returned.
5. Submit only one employee on each nomination form.
6. Narrative statements must not exceed 500 words (e.g., 500 words for Part I of the Nomination Form and 500 words for Part II). Supplemental materials will not be considered.
The Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Nomination Form in PDF and Microsoft Word Formats, and Program related Frequently Asked Questions are accessible at:
For more information about the 2003-2004 Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program, please call Quality of Work/Life & Internal Employee Communications at (858) 534-9659.