University of California, San Diego
July 18, 2005
KEY ADMINISTRATORS/KEY SUPPORT STAFF (excluding UCSD Healthcare)
The University has extended the Staff and Academic Reduction in Time Program (START) for current participants to June 30, 2006. Current participants are those employees who participated in the program at any time during the July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005 fiscal year.
START is a temporary program originally scheduled to expire June 30, 2005. Its purpose is to achieve short-term salary savings during the University's budget crisis through employees' voluntary time reductions. Since its inception, the program has saved over $24.4 million in UC salaries, helped meet budget goals, minimized layoffs, and addressed employee work/life needs.
Current participants may enter into a START contract during the extension period beginning July 1, 2005, in accordance with the program's basic provisions:
* Academic personnel, except those in faculty and student academic titles, and regular status (non-probationary career) staff are eligible.
* Participants voluntarily reduce their working time from a minimum of 10 percent to a maximum of 50 percent of full-time status, and for a minimum of one month to a maximum of 12 months.
* Reduced work schedules are at the convenience of the department and approved by the department head.
* The time reduction may be changed only once during the term of the START contract with a 30 day notice.
* Participation may be terminated by the employee or the department head with a 30 day notice.
For details on START, including the 2005-06 contract, visit the At Your Service Web site: