University of California, San Diego
December 11, 2006
KEY ADMINISTRATORS/KEY SUPPORT STAFF
ALL ACADEMICS AT UCSD
For the sixth year, UCSD students, faculty, staff, and alumni are invited to participate in the “Silk Road to the Future” sponsored by the Legends of China Foundation (LOC). This trip is an opportunity to see China along with others from UCSD, the UC system and universities across America. During the summers from 2001-2006, over 1,200 UCSD participants have taken part in this event and experienced one of the most exciting, wonderful and educational times of their lives. UC students, faculty, staff, and alumni from Irvine, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Davis, Los Angeles, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Riverside, Merced and the Office of the President also attended. As part of the program, all participants will attend a magnificent ceremony to celebrate good will between our two countries in a gesture of international educational communication.
This year, as previously, spouses and immediate family members (including children 11 years of age and older) of students, faculty, staff and alumni are invited to participate. The following trip options are offered:
- TRIP A: Beijing & Great Wall (approximate dates, July 25-31*) for $1,296;
- TRIP B: Beijing + three additional South China cities -- Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Suzhou (approximate dates, July 24-Aug 2*) for $1,796;
- TRIP C: Beijing + 5 other cities -- Xi’an, Dunhuang, Urumqi, Turpan, Shanghai. Xi’an -- site where the internationally famous archeological excavation of the Terra cotta Soldier Army is taking place at the tomb of China’s first emperor who constructed the Great Wall; Dunhuang – site of the famous Magao Caves containing hundreds of ancient and magnificent Buddhist murals; also, a major caravan re-provisioning stopover on the edge of the great Taklimakan Desert (approximate dates, July 26-Aug 7*) for $2868;
- TRIP D: Beijing + TIBET + Xi’an, Lhasa, Xigatze, Shanghai – visit the highest land on earth where you’ll see the Potala Palace of the Dahlia Lama and the unbelievable Himalayan Mountains (approximate dates, July 23-Aug 6*) for $3786.
Included is round-trip airfare (from LAX or SFO), domestic airfare in China, 4/5-star hotel accommodations, all meals, ground transportation, tour guides, historical site tickets, and full traveler health insurance.
Registration instructions, forms and all additional information are available directly from the Legends of China Web site at http://ww.legendsofchina.com. All registration materials and tentative trip agendas are available through that source only and registration is to be carried out directly through LOC. UCSD will be unable to directly facilitate faculty/staff/alumni participation to the degree that it has in the past.
1) Visit the above Web site and download a registration form.
2) Complete an individual form for each person applying and mail to LOC along with required deposit.
Following acceptance, LOC will directly contact you with registration confirmation and additional information.
Registration is strictly FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED with total space limited to 500 students, faculty and staff from UC and other American universities. TIBET trip spaces are limited to 10 per campus.
The “Silk Road to the Future” event is sponsored solely by The Legends of China Foundation, a non-profit cultural organization based in Los Angeles and Beijing, China, in cooperation with UCSD and other UC campuses. All staff and faculty communications concerning this trip are to be conducted directly through LOC.
Contact information is as follows:
-- Email -- firstname.lastname@example.org