University of California, San Diego
OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR -
October 24, 2007
ALL AT UCSD (including UCSD Medical Center)
If you have lost your home, know of a UCSD faculty or staff member who has lost their home, or you want to help those in need, please review the rest of this message.
The campus has made available special resources for those UCSD faculty, staff, and students that lost their homes in the San Diego fires (see http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/fireinfo). A brief summary of some of these resources follows:
* HOTLINE ESTABLISHED: A special hotline has been established for
UCSD students, faculty, and staff who lost their homes in the fires.
Please call (858) 534-5523 or send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* COUNSELING: The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program offers
counseling and other services. Campus employees should call (858)
534-5523, and Medical Center employees should call 888-426-0023.
Psychological and Counseling Services offers equivalent services
for students: Call (858) 534-3755 for appointments.
* EMERGENCY LOANS: From today until November 30, 2007, faculty and
staff who have lost their homes in the fires may obtain up to a $3,000
emergency loan, which will have no interest charged over the 12-month
period beginning January 2008.
* "LEAVE" DONATION: Beginning immediately, we have temporarily
changed the rules for the Catastrophic Leave Donation program, so
that employees who have lost their homes may receive leave donations
from other UCSD employees.
* STUDENT BILLINGS: The due date for current student billings is being delayed until October 31, 2007. We encourage students to use E-check to ensure timely payment.
* DO YOU HAVE ROOM TO HELP A COLLEAGUE? NEED A PLACE TO STAY?
If you are a UCSD employee with space in your home, and would like to
volunteer to take someone in temporarily who lost their home, please
call (858) 534-5523 or send e-mail to email@example.com. If
you were displaced by the fire and need a temporary place to stay,
please call (858) 534-5523 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 403(B) LOANS: Participants in UC's 403(b) Plan may borrow their
own funds for emergency needs or, if ineligible for a loan, they
may be able to take a hardship withdrawal.
* SUPPORT GROUPS FOR FIRE VICTIMS AND SUPERVISORS: Support groups and crisis counseling has been scheduled for UCSD students, faculty, and staff. Separate groups have been scheduled for supervisors of those impacted by the fires. For dates and times, --> SEE http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/firesupport
* CHILD CARE PROBLEMS: Since many K-12 schools are closed for the rest of this week, supervisors are asked to provide flexibility in granting leave for parents with child care problems.
* DONATIONS OF NEEDED ITEMS: If you have new or "like-new" clothing
and other articles that can be useful to families of UCSD employees
and students who lost their homes, they may be brought to any UCSD
* DONATIONS OF CASH: If you would like to donate cash to impacted families in San Diego, please contact the San Diego/Imperial County Red Cross at http://www.sdarc.org or the Salvation Army at http://www.salvationarmyusa.org
* BENEFITS INFORMATION: You may not be aware of benefits available
to you, such as alternatives for filling prescriptions.
We want to extend our deepest sympathies to members of our campus community who have experienced losses in this tragedy. We will do all that we can to provide help and support to our colleagues during this very difficult time in their lives.
We want to thank the countless number of students, faculty, and staff who have stepped forward to help.