University of California, San Diego
December 12, 2007
KEY ADMINISTRATORS/KEY SUPPORT STAFF
ALL ACADEMICS AT UCSD
For the sixth year, UCSD students, faculty, staff, and alumni are invited to participate as Ambassadors of Peace in the "Silk Road to the Future" sponsored by the Legends of China (LOC). This trip is a rare opportunity to see China and Tibet along with others from UCSD and the UC system. During the summers from 2001-2007 over 1,400 UCSD participants have taken part and experienced one of the most exciting, wonderful and educational times of their lives. All UC campuses (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Riverside) have taken part. While in Beijing, a magnificent ceremony is held annually to celebrate good will and the growing educational cooperation between our two nations. While this year's trip will take place prior to the Olympic Games, tours of Olympic facilities will be included!
As previously, spouses and immediate family members of students, faculty, staff and alumni are invited to participate. The following trip options are offered and explained in greater detail at the Legends of China Web site:
- TRIP A: Beijing + Chengde (approximate dates, June 20-26*) for $1781;
- TRIP B: Beijing + three additional South China cities -- Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Suzhou (approximate dates, June 19-28*) for $2365;
- TRIP C: Beijing + 3 other cities -- Xi'an, Guilin, Shanghai. Xi'an -- site where the internationally famous archeological excavation of the Terra cotta Soldier Army is taking place at the tomb of China's first emperor who constructed the Great Wall (approximate dates, June 19-28*) for $3392;
- TRIP D: Beijing + THREE GORGES CRUISE + 5 other cities - Xi'an, Chung Qin, Fengdu, Yicheng, Shanghai - see the amazing mountains and rivers of China (approximate dates, June 18-July 2*) for $3726;
- TRIP E: Beijing + TIBET -- Xi'an, Lhasa, Chengdu, Shanghai - visit the highest land on earth where you'll see the Potala Palace of the Dahlia Lama and the unbelievable Himalayan Mountains (approximate dates, June 17-29*) for $3995.
Included is round-trip airfare (from LAX or SFO), domestic airfare in China, 4/5-star hotel accommodations, all meals, ground transportation, tour guides, historical site tickets, and full traveler health insurance.
Registration instructions, forms and all additional information are available directly from the Legends of China Web site at http://www.legendsofchina.com. All registration materials and tentative trip agendas are available through that source or via the UCSD International Center site at http://programsabroad.ucsd.edu/pao/LOC Faculty/staff/alumni registration is to be carried out directly through LOC as UCSD will be unable to directly facilitate faculty/staff/alumni participation to the degree that it has in the past.
FACULTY, STAFF, & ALUMNI registration deadline is: February 1, 2008
Specific questions concerning the trip can be referred to UCSD's faculty/staff/alumni coordinator, Loren Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 534-3544.
An INFORMATION SESSION AT UCSD will be held on January 17, 6:30-8:00 p.m., International Center, Oceanids Pavilion.
1) Visit the LOC Web site to download a registration form; 2) Complete an individual form for each person applying and mail to LOC along with required deposit.
Following acceptance, LOC will directly contact you with registration confirmation and additional information.
Registration is strictly FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED with total space limited to students, faculty and staff from UC and other American universities.
The "Silk Road to the Future" event is sponsored solely by The Legends of China Foundation, a non-profit cultural organization based in Los Angeles and Beijing, China, in cooperation with UCSD and other UC campuses.
LOC Contact information is as follows:
-- Email : email@example.com
When calling or emailing LOC, please identify yourself as UCSD faculty/ staff/alumni.
*An updated notice will be sent by LOC once trip dates are finalized.