University of California, San Diego
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
March 12, 2007
MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY
I am pleased to announce the appointment of the University of California Staff Diversity Council, and I have attached a list of the members for your information.
The Council will advise senior UC leadership and will work alongside the UC Diversity Study Group in setting an agenda that promotes staff diversity throughout the system. It will focus on a broad range of staff diversity issues, including the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce, leadership commitment to staff diversity at each location, and systems for threading diversity principles through the fabric of the employment experience at UC.
The charge of the Council will be to:
* Develop specific objectives for achieving greater staff diversity at UC.
* Monitor and evaluate progress on staff diversity efforts at each location, based on the objectives mentioned previously.
* Assess the impact of SP-2 and Proposition 209 on staff diversity at UC.
* Identify and document best practices that develop and promote staff diversity, share these resources widely throughout the system, and advise on the possible development and implementation of these practices across locations.
* Identify institutional barriers that hinder staff diversity throughout the system, and recommend ways to eliminate those barriers.
* Facilitate dialogue among locations and between the University and external groups on staff diversity issues.
* Provide advice and recourses to UC administrators on staff diversity initiatives at their locations.
I have asked Associate President Linda Williams to serve as Chair of the Council. In addition, John White, Director of Capital Planning at UC Merced, and Rahim Reed, Associate Executive Vice Chancellor at UC Davis, will serve as Co-Vice Chairs in leading this important initiative. The Council will begin its work shortly, and will report directly to me on an annual basis.
The work of the UC Staff Diversity Council will be significant to the continued success of the University of California as we clearly define goals, objectives, and measurements, and demonstrate management leadership commitment and support for staff diversity initiatives.
University of California Staff Diversity Council
Farfalla Borah, Whistleblower Coordinator, ADA Compliance Office, UC Santa Barbara
Jeanette Bradeen, Director of Residence Life, Housing Services, UC Riverside
Lynda Brewer, Assistant Director--Capital Planning, UC Irvine, representing Staff Advisors to the Regents
Eugene Britt, Director--Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, Agricultural and Natural Resources, UC Office of the President
Paula Doss, Director--Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action, UC San Diego
Joseph Epperson, Director--Diversity & Employment, UC Office of the President
Patricia Hiramoto, Staff Director--EEO/AA, UC Santa Cruz, representing EEO/AA Officers
Bill Johansen, Business Manager, LBNL, representing CUCSA
Lubbe Levine, Assistant Vice Chancellor--Campus Human Resources, UC Los Angeles
Steve Lustig, Associate Vice Chancellor--Health & Human Resources, UC Berkeley
Kirsten K. Quanbeck, Assistant Executive Vice Chancellor, Director IX/Sexual Harassment Officer, UC Irvine
Harry Reed, Ombudsman and Head of Workforce Diversity, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, representing the National Laboratories
Rahim Reed, Associate Executive Vice Chancellor--Equal Opportunity and Diversity, UC Davis
Joseph Rios, Director--Facilities, Environmental Services & Clinical Engineering, UC San Francisco, representing the Medical Centers
Ashish Sahni, Assistant Chancellor/Chief of Staff, Chancellor's Office, UC Santa Cruz
Dennis Shimek, Senior Assistant Vice Chancellor--Human Resources, UC Davis, representing Chief Human Resource Officers
Alma Sisco-Smith, Director, Work Life Resource Center, UC San Francisco
John O. White, Director, Capital Planning, UC Merced
Linda Morris Williams, Associate President, UC Office of the President