University of California, San Diego
January 23, 2008
ALL ACADEMICS AND STAFF AT UCSD (excluding UCSD Medical Center)
As previously announced, the U.S. Open Golf Tournament will be held the week of June 9-15 at the Torrey Pines Golf Course and is expected to significantly affect transportation and roads surrounding our campus. Approximately 50,000 persons are expected to attend. The profound impact of this many people in the vicinity of the campus cannot be over stated.
Consequently it will be important to limit activity on the campus where possible during the week of the Open. We realize that June 9-13 is Final Exam week for Spring classes and that faculty, staff and students involved in administering and supporting courses will need to be on campus.
I am suggesting the following options regarding departmental activities for this period, as well as personnel in each Vice Chancellor's area who can assist with your planning.
* Whenever feasible, departments should consider telecommuting arrangements for the period of June 9-15.
* Staff considering vacation in June, where flexible with their plans, may wish to include the June 9-15 period.
* The scheduling of events such as training classes, meetings and campus forums should be reviewed to exclude the Open week.
* Conducting business-as-usual transactions that draw visitors to the campus should be avoided.
* Consider closing or reducing business hours for offices whose primary purpose is to interface with visitors.
Persons in Vice Chancellor areas who may be contacted with questions are:
Academic Affairs: Gillian Hemingway
Business Affairs: Judy Johnson
External Relations: Russell King
Health Sciences: Evelyn Hidalgo
Resource Management & Planning: Carol Thunstrom
Scripps Institution of Oceanography: Doug Bennett
Student Affairs: Ed Spriggs
Chancellor's Office: Clare Kristofco
Information about the U.S. Open as it relates to UC San Diego operations may be found at http://usopen.ucsd.edu.
I appreciate the assistance of all faculty, administrators and staff in helping the campus run smoothly during the week of the Open and in supporting our commitment to serve as a good neighbor to the San Diego community.