OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR – HEALTH SCIENCES
October 28, 2009
ALL ACADEMICS AND STAFF AT UCSD
As you weigh your options regarding employee benefits during this period of open enrollment (October 29 through November 24), we encourage you to consider selecting a UC San Diego Medical Group physician as your primary care provider. By selecting the region’s only academic medical center as your provider, you can expect excellent, quality care, the newest treatments and cutting-edge technologies delivered by some of the nation’s leading physicians.
· The UC San Diego Medical Center is the only health system in San Diego ranked among the nation’s top programs in six specialties by U.S. News and World Report, and the only system to consistently rank in multiple specialties for more than a decade.
· Eighty UC San Diego physicians were named as the region’s top doctors by their peers in this year’s “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” survey in San Diego Magazine.
· UC San Diego Medical Center has partnered with Rady Children’s Hospital – San Diego to provide children with excellent clinical care from top-tier pediatricians and pediatric specialists.
To fulfill our commitment to deliver superb service and care to our patients and the region, UC San Diego has added several new primary care physicians to our practices over the past year and we are accepting new patients at all of our locations, including Hillcrest, La Jolla and Scripps Ranch.
The division of Family Medicine welcomes new patients and has added several new physicians to care for families – from expectant mothers to children and seniors. They have the expertise to take care of 85 percent to 90 percent of their patients’ needs. The new Internal Medicine Clinic in La Jolla has doubled its patient capacity by hiring five new general internists. In addition, for your convenience some physicians’ offices offer some evening hours and urgent care clinics.
When you choose a UC San Diego primary care physician for your routine care, our specialists are also there when you need them:
· The Moores UCSD Cancer Center is the region’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, bringing more options to patients diagnosed with malignancy.
· UC San Diego surgeons have received national attention for pioneering minimally invasive techniques that allow patients to recover more quickly and with fewer scars.
· UC San Diego’s renowned cardiovascular specialists will soon be housed in the state-of-the-art Sulpizio Family Cardiovascular Center, under construction right now on our UC San Diego Medical Center-La Jolla campus.
You can select a UC San Diego physician from any of the health plans offered by the University of California, except Kaiser. You will need to contact your health plan and request the change of physician.
A list of primary care physicians, along with Blue Cross and Health Net enrollment numbers can be found by here: http://health.ucsd.edu/UCSD_MD/open-enrollment.htm. You can also call Physician Referral Services at 619-543-8273 or 1-800-926-UCSD (8273).
We encourage you to become part of the UC San Diego health system and experience first-hand our commitment to Clinical Excellence…Through Service, Innovation and Education. Thank you.