February 20, 2009
ALL AT UCSD (excluding UCSD Medical Center)
ALL STUDENTS AT UCSD
COMMUNITY ADVISORY BULLETIN
Crime: Sexual assault (Rape)
Details: On February 19, 2009, A female reported to the police that she was pushed to the ground and sexually assaulted in parking lot 102 by an Asian male.
The male suspect fled on foot toward North Torrey Pines Road.
More detailed information about this incident is not available at this time.
· Be especially aware of your surroundings at times when you may be less alert and more vulnerable to an attack, e.g., during periods of stress, when you are upset or sick, or if you have been drinking.
· Use discretion and caution when taking shortcuts through isolated parts of the campus.
· Know the location of campus emergency telephones on routes to and from campus destinations.
· Use the Community Service Officer (CSO) Escort Program, (858) 534-WALK, available daily from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
· Use the campus shuttle from 7 a.m. to 12:15 a.m. with stops located throughout campus and outlying parking lots.
· If someone tries to snatch your purse, let it go. Most injuries from robberies occur when people resist during purse snatches.
· If you are attacked, whether you resist and how you resist will depend on your personal resources and your personal values. Give some thought right now to what you would do in various situations that could arise. The more you have thought ahead, the more likely you will be to act in the way you have planned.
· In considering your reactions to different situations, keep these three basic rules in mind:
o Trust your instincts.
o Don't be afraid to be impolite or make a scene; this is especially important if someone you know threatens or attacks you.
o Try to remain calm and use your imagination and good judgment; give yourself time to think.
Anyone having information about this case or the identity of the above male is asked to call UCSD Police at 858-534-4359 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you see the above male or anyone suspicious in the housing areas call the UCSD Police Department at 858-534-4357 or 9-1-1 (in an emergency).