ADMINISTRATIVE COMPUTING AND
June 10, 2009
ALL ACADEMICS AND STAFF AT UCSD
ALL STUDENTS AT UCSD
I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of the UC San Diego iPhone and iPod Touch application providing access to the latest information about UC San Diego wherever you are. Use the UC San Diego suite of services to find contact information for people, find your way across campus, keep tabs on sport scores, watch campus-related videos, and access detailed information about current and future courses. Information about this application, including screen shots and download instructions can be found at: http://iphone.ucsd.edu
UC San Diego is the first public university to provide this free innovative and exciting service to the entire campus community, including current and prospective students, faculty, staff, parents, and alumni. This new tool was developed quickly at a very low cost due to our ability to capitalize on the campus existing web services and on similar systems introduced by Stanford and Duke universities.
The features included in this first release are:
- DIRECTORY: Look up students, faculty, and staff by first or last name. Tap to contact people by phone, SMS, and email. You can even add them to your phone contacts.
- MAPS: Search the campus buildings by name, pinpoint them on the map, view building photos, and see your relative GPS proximity to your desired location.
- COURSES: Browse and search for current and future term course schedule, including descriptions, times, locations. You can even tap to find the course location on the map or contact the instructor by email or phone. For official course information, including prerequisites, restrictions, seat availability, book lists and other details, see the Schedule of Classes on TritonLink.
- ATHLETICS: View UC San Diego sports news, schedules, and scores.
- uTV: review and watch videos from the UC San Diego YouTube channel. Due to the large size of the videos, they are best watched when WiFi is enabled.
- More features will be added in future releases, including a similar (but not as functional) service that will work on many other mobile devices.
If you have questions about this product please send an email message to: iPhoneHelp@ucsd.edu and feel free to provide us feedback by rating this service at the iTunes App store.