ALL ACADEMICS AND STAFF AT UCSD
SUBJECT: Opportunity to Promote Your Department to New Students
Occurring from September 19-25, Welcome Week is an opportunity for your department to promote its services and programs to 6,500 new freshmen and transfer students enrolling this fall. Each year, more than 200 activities and information sessions are held for new students during Welcome Week.
It is easy for your department to participate. Visit http://welcomeweek.ucsd.edu and look for the button labeled "Staff Add/Edit Events" at the bottom of the column on the right side of the page to post your activity or information session to the Welcome Week website. This website is the primary outlet for new students to learn about Welcome Week activities.
If you are unsure about what type of activity to offer, the simple rule is that it should help new students adjust to university life. For example, your activity can assist new students in accomplishing one or more of the following outcomes:
- Learning about beneficial academic and non-academic resources or services,
- Exploring outlets for involvement in academic, co-curricular, and community programs,
- Making friends with other students,
- Finding a social niche on campus, whether it is a student organization, campus job, or an undergraduate research project, and
- Developing a sense of belonging to UC San Diego.
For more information about Welcome Week, contact Darlene Mercado, Chair of the Welcome Week Committee, at email@example.com or (858) 534-1585.