November 15, 2012
I am pleased to announce that UC San Diego will honor World AIDS Day the week of November 26, 2012 to focus attention on and raise awareness about the impact that HIV/AIDS has had in the San Diego community, the nation and the world. World AIDS Day is celebrated each year on December 1.
UC San Diego will sponsor a number of events throughout the week in recognition of World AIDS Day, culminating in the display of three sections of the AIDS Memorial Quilt in the Price Center Ballroom East from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Friday, November 30, 2012.
Other events include:
* Red ribbon distribution throughout campus during the week, kicking off
* HIV/AIDS activism performances from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday
* Stories from young people living with HIV at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday at
* Free HIV testing from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday and Friday at
* "Survivors" photography exhibit from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Friday
* HIV/AIDS Resource Fair from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Friday at
* Presentation, "Gender-Based Violence and HIV: A Global Health Concern",
On display Friday will be sections of the Quilt that have emerged from San Diego organizations and individuals as San Diegans have responded to the AIDS crisis, both in the early years of the epidemic and through today.
In recognition of this event, I am approving one hour of administrative leave with pay that employees may apply to their attendance at any World AIDS Day event. Supervisors may allow one hour of administrative leave with pay for staff to participate in World AIDS Day programs, as long as the absence does not infringe upon the performance of required job duties or patient care.
Information regarding all of the World AIDS Day activities at UC San Diego may be found at http://worldAIDSday.ucsd.edu.