OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE CHANCELLOR -
February 6, 2013
ALL ACADEMIC SENATE MEMBERS
SUBJECT: || UC San Diego Faculty Associate Director of|
Programs Abroad Opening
Applications are invited from tenured faculty interested in serving as
the Associate Faculty Director of the Programs Abroad Office. The
position starts July 1, 2013 for a three-year appointment. A full
position description can be found at:
Faculty Directors play a central role in our international education
program, which is being strengthened and expanded and includes Education
Abroad Programs, Opportunities Abroad Programs, and UC San Diego
Faculty-led Global Seminars. Past directors have found it highly
rewarding to assist students with what has proven to be one of the most
important educational experiences of their undergraduate years. Experience in the position can also provide key preparation for
selection and service as a Faculty Director in one of the EAP study
centers located around the world. Faculty with interests in
international education are encouraged to review the accompanying
position description and submit a letter of interest and current CV to
Barbara Sawrey, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Dean of
Undergraduate Education at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is Friday,
March 15, 2013.
| Suresh Subramani|
Executive Vice Chancellor
Associate Faculty Director
* Fill in for the Faculty Director as needed/appropriate.
* Represent PAO office as an ex-officio member at quarterly CIE meetings.
* Participate in quarterly campus-wide discussions of
internationalization and other meetings as appropriate.
* Assist with workshops for departmental faculty liaisons.
* Assist with identifying and obtaining funding for programs.
* Participate as needed in student recruitment, advising, selection,
scholarship review, pre-departure orientation, and reentry advising
sessions. Faculty will approve selection of UC San Diego students for
the UC Education Abroad Program.
* Participate in support of UC San Diego programs abroad, such as Global
Seminars, with faculty recruitment, advising, and selection; Foster
collaboration with campus partners, such as International House,
Writing Center, and Colleges.
* Develop academic projects, in collaboration with I-Center professional
staff, related to study abroad which result in participation in
professional conferences, research, and/or publication.
* Act as Academic Integration Liaison with Science and Engineering or
Social Science and Humanities departments.
* Promote the academic integration of study abroad course work into
college and departmental degree programs.
* Meet annually with faculty, advisers, and study abroad liaisons in
social sciences and humanities or science and engineering departments
and with colleges' general education advisers regarding study abroad
options, available coursework, and procedures for applying credit
earned abroad to department and college degree requirements.
Student Selection Responsibilities
* Interview, or arrange for other faculty to interview, relevant students.
* Evaluate student files that do not require interviewing.
* Provide support for and direction to student workers, as needed.