November 17, 2014
UC San Diego will honor World AIDS Day on Monday, December 1, 2014, to focus attention on and raise awareness about the impact that HIV/AIDS has had in the San Diego community, the nation and the world.
Our campus will sponsor a number of opportunities throughout the day in recognition of World AIDS Day, including the display of three sections of the AIDS Memorial Quilt in the Price Center Ballroom East from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Other opportunities include:
· A passport event for students, with an opportunity to win a free iPad mini for completed passports.
· Professor Eric Geiger performing “I'M WITH YOU and something is happening” at 11:30 a.m. at the Triton Steps.
· Dr. Ankita Kadakia from UC San Diego’s Owen Clinic will speak at 3:00 p.m. in the Cross-Cultural Center. Dr. Kadakia will discuss using the drug Truvada as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), a strategy that helps prevent HIV infection.
· Stories from young people living with HIV at 7:00 p.m.
· Free and confidential HIV testing from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Library Walk.
· Red ribbon distribution throughout campus and on Library Walk.
· Exhibits from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Price Center Ballroom East, showcasing the impact of HIV and AIDS, as well as musical performances throughout the day.
· HIV/AIDS Resource and Information Fair from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Library Walk.
· Presentations in each of UC San Diego’s Campus Community Centers regarding the intersection of HIV/AIDS with specific communities.
Sections of the Quilt on display will be ones that have emerged from San Diego organizations and individuals as San Diegans have responded to the AIDS crisis, both in the early years of the epidemic and through today.
In recognition of this event, I am approving one hour of administrative leave with pay that employees may apply to their attendance at any World AIDS Day event. Supervisors may allow one hour of administrative leave with pay for staff to participate in World AIDS Day programs, as long as the absence does not infringe upon the performance of required job duties or patient care.
Information regarding all of the World AIDS Day activities at UC San Diego may be found at http://worldAIDSday.ucsd.edu.