OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE CHANCELLOR -
November 5, 2014
ACADEMIC SENATE MEMBERS
KEY ADMINISTRATORS AND KEY SUPPORT STAFF
SUBJECT: || Reminder – Nominations Due by 11/15/14: Eleanor Roosevelt College Provost Search|
This is a reminder that applications and nominations for the position of
Provost of Eleanor Roosevelt College are due by November 15, 2014.
The Provost serves as the academic and administrative leader of the
College and is responsible for the oversight of all educational affairs
and activities. The ideal candidate will have an engaged, visible and
approachable presence, and will be effective in fostering collaborations
with partners across Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and other key
campus units to enhance the student experience and further campus goals
to be a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public
The Provost search will be confined to the UC San Diego campus, and
candidates must hold full-time, tenured faculty positions (including
Teaching Professors) in one of our academic departments. The Provost
appointment will be for a period of five years, renewable after
appropriate review. The general job description and required
qualifications for a Provost follow this announcement and are also
posted on the Academic Affairs website at:
Information on the academic theme and other specific aspects of Eleanor
Roosevelt College may be found on the college website at:
If you would like to apply for the Eleanor Roosevelt College Provost
position, please send via electronic mail a statement of interest, a
copy of your vita, a diversity statement, and names of three references
Barbara A. Sawrey, Chair
Eleanor Roosevelt College Provost Search Committee
If you would like to nominate someone, please send your nomination to
the address given above. You need not contact the individual to
ascertain if she/he is willing to be considered as a candidate. Dean
Sawrey will contact all nominees, in confidence, to discuss their
willingness to have their names put forward to the Search Committee.
Nominations and applications received by November 15, 2014 will receive
full consideration by the Search Committee:
*Barbara A. Sawrey, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Dean
of Undergraduate Education (Chair)
*Roger Bohn, Professor, IR/PS
*Juan del Alamo, Associate Professor, MAE
*Uri Feldman, Eleanor Roosevelt College Alumni Representative
*Sarah DeVore, Eleanor Roosevelt College Undergraduate Student
*Aman Joea, Eleanor Roosevelt College Undergraduate Student
*Kafele Khalfani, Dean of Student Affairs, Warren College
*Andrew Kehler, Professor, Linguistics
*John Moore, Provost, Muir College
*Eric Schmelz, Professor, Biological Sciences
*Sarah Spear-Barrett, Dean of Academic Advising, Eleanor Roosevelt
*Shaun Travers, Director, LGBT Resource Center
*Elana Zilberg, Associate Professor, Communication
Executive Vice Chancellor
UC San Diego
* Is responsible for the academic and administrative leadership of the
College and is its chief academic and administrative leader.
* Is responsible for the realization of the academic goals of the
College, as described in the College's academic plan.
* Is responsible for fostering collaborations with academic departments,
programs, and key campus units to enhance the quality of undergraduate
* Shares with the College faculty, the appropriate academic departments,
and the respective Program Directors the responsibility for the
supervision of academic programs, developed and administered under the
aegis of the College, including the associated core courses sequence and
the college writing program.
* Is responsible for enhancing the diversity of the College.
* On an adhoc basis, may review and make recommendations on
appointments, merits, and promotions of faculty affiliated with the
*Is responsible for promoting an environment in which the highest
standards of ethical conduct are understood to be a primary
responsibility of all members of the College.
*Supervises the academic employees and professional staff of the College
- Academic Coordinators, Dean of Academic Advising, Dean of Student
Affairs, and other staff members who report to the Provost.
* Is responsible for preparation of the annual budgets of the College
and for an accurate accounting of the expenditure of College funds.
* Is responsible for the management and administration of the associated
college writing program and associated core courses sequence, including
all budget, FTE, and personnel matters.
*Serves as ex officio member of the College's governing body, which is
advisory to the Provost.
* Is responsible for orientation of new undergraduate students, transfer
students, and their parents.
* Certifies students of the College for graduation upon completion of
* To the degree permitted by his or her administrative responsibilities,
engages in teaching and research commensurate in quality with his or her
rank as a member of the UC San Diego faculty.
* Serves, as appointed, on various campus-wide and system-wide
* Is responsible for the programmatic aspects of College residence-hall
* Is responsible for recreational, social and cultural programming for
* Is responsible for student government in the College.
* Is responsible for development activities on behalf of the College.
* Must hold a full-time, tenured appointment in one of UC San Diego's
* Must have the skills and knowledge to direct and supervise the
professional staff of the College.
* Must have knowledge and skills in budgeting and fiscal management.
* Must have the interpersonal skills to work effectively with students,
parents, faculty, staff, and alumni as well as the general public.
* Must have a strong commitment to the achievement of diversity.
The University of California, San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/
Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to
the achievement of diversity among its faculty and staff.