OFFICE OF THE CHIEF –
October 8, 2015
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF, AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
SUBJECT: || Tips to Stay Safe|
With the 2015-16 school year underway, we would like to welcome all new
and returning students, faculty and staff to campus. The UC San Diego
Police Department, in partnership with university administration and the
San Diego Police Department, work hard to ensure that the campus and
surrounding community are safe places to live, work, learn, visit or
Police patrol the campus and surrounding area 24 hours a days, seven
days a week, and are trained to deal with various scenarios. There are,
however, many simple steps you can take to improve your safety.
Following are 10 important tips to stay safe:
1. Be aware and pay attention to your surroundings at all times.
2. Use discretion and caution when taking shortcuts through
isolated parts of campus.
3. Report suspicious behavior to the Police Department at (858)
4. Buddy up or use the Community Service Officer (CSO) Escort
Program, which is available daily from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. Call (858)
534-WALK (9255) to arrange for an escort or learn more at:
5. Keep personal belongings in view while eating, meeting, studying
6. If you ride a bike, skateboard or scooter on campus, follow all
bicycle and skateboard guidelines: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/skateboard.
7. Lock your room, apartment or car doors at all times, even if
stepping away for “just a minute.”
8. Have your keys in hand as you approach your car and park in
well-lighted areas. Be sure to check the backseat and floor before
entering your vehicle.
9. If someone tries to snatch your purse or your backpack, let it
go. Most injuries from robberies occur when people resist.
10. Plan ahead for various emergency situations. The more you think
ahead and plan, the better prepared you will be to act. Learn what to do
Additional tips and other important information on personal safety and
police services can be found online at:
Remember to trust your instincts and don’t be afraid to speak up. If you
ever feel unsafe on campus or see something that indicates a threat to
you or others, please call 911 or (858) 534-HELP (4357). If you are
off-campus and need to reach the San Diego Police Department for a
non-emergency, please call (619) 531-2000 or visit their contact page
We hope you have found this information helpful, and wish you a safe and
happy year at UC San Diego.
David S. Rose|
Chief of Police