OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR -
November 16, 2015
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO (Including UCSD Medical Center)
UC San Diego will honor World AIDS Day on Tuesday, December 1, 2015, to focus attention on and raise awareness about the impact that HIV/AIDS has had and continues to have in the San Diego community, the nation and the world.
Our campus will sponsor a number of opportunities throughout the day in recognition of World AIDS Day, including the display of three sections of the AIDS Memorial Quilt in the Price Center Ballroom East from 12:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Other opportunities include:
· A passport event for students, with an opportunity to win a free iPad Air for completed passports.
· Professor Eric Geiger from the Department of Theatre and Dance performing to be of service: fairies and royalty from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.at the Triton Steps.
· Dr. Ankita Kadakia from UC San Diego’s Owen Clinic will speak at 12:30 p.m. in the Price Center John Muir College Room discussing the drug Truvada as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), a strategy that helps prevent HIV infection.
· Stories from young people living with HIV from the UC San Diego Mother, Child and Adolescent HIV program will be shared at 7:00 p.m. in the Price Center John Muir College Room.
· Free and confidential HIV testing from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on UC San Diego’s Town Square.
· Screening of “Radiant Presence” film by Visual AIDS for the 26th Anniversary of Day With(out) Art in conjunction with the display of the AIDS Memorial Quilt.
· Red ribbon distribution throughout campus and on Library Walk.
· Poster presentations from UC San Diego’s AIDS Research Institute, undergraduate and graduate student researchers at 2:00 p.m. in the John Muir College Room.
· Exhibits from 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Price Center Ballroom East, showcasing the impact of HIV and AIDS, as well as musical performances throughout the day.
· HIV/AIDS Resource and Information Fair from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Library Walk.
· Presentations in each of UC San Diego’s Campus Community Centers regarding the intersection of HIV/AIDS with specific communities.
In recognition of this event, one hour of administrative leave with pay has been approved for employees to apply to their attendance at any World AIDS Day event. Supervisors may allow one hour of administrative leave with pay for staff to participate in World AIDS Day programs, as long as the absence does not infringe upon the performance of required job duties or patient care.
Information regarding all of the World AIDS Day activities at UC San Diego may be found at http://worldAIDSday.ucsd.edu