OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE CHANCELLOR -
December 16, 2015
ACADEMIC SENATE MEMBERS
KEY ADMINISTRATORS AND KEY SUPPORT STAFF
SUBJECT: || Provost Searches - Thurgood Marshall College and Earl Warren College|
Applications and nominations are invited for the position of Provost at
both Thurgood Marshall College and Earl Warren College.
The Provost serves as the academic and administrative leader of the
College and is responsible for the oversight of all educational affairs
and activities. The ideal candidate will have an engaged, visible and
approachable presence, and will be effective in fostering collaborations
with partners across Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and other key
campus units to enhance the student experience and further campus goals
to be a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public
The Provost searches will be confined to the UC San Diego campus, and
candidates must hold full-time, tenured faculty positions (including
Teaching Professors) in one of our academic departments or colleges.
Each Provost appointment will be for a period of five years, renewable
after appropriate review. The general job description and required
qualifications for a Provost follow this announcement and are also
posted on the Academic Affairs websites at:
Information on the academic theme and other specific aspects of Thurgood
Marshall College may be found on the college website at:
Information on the academic theme and other specific aspects of Earl
Warren College may be found on the college website at:
Eligible candidates may apply for one or both Provost positions. Please send via electronic mail a statement of interest for Thurgood
Marshall College, a copy of your vita, a diversity statement, and names
of three references to:
Barbara A. Sawrey, Chair
Thurgood Marshall College Provost Search Committee
Please send via electronic mail a statement of interest for Earl Warren
College, a copy of your vita, a diversity statement, and names of three
Barbara A. Sawrey, Chair
Earl Warren College Provost Search Committee
If you would like to nominate someone, please send your nomination to
email@example.com. Please specify if you are nominating the
individual for the position of Provost at Thurgood Marshall College,
Provost at Earl Warren College, or both. You need not contact the
individual to ascertain if she/he is willing to be considered as a
candidate. Dean Sawrey will contact all nominees, in confidence, to
discuss their willingness to have their names put forward to the Search
Committees. Nominations and applications received by January 25, 2016
will receive full consideration by the Search Committees.
Executive Vice Chancellor
* Is responsible for the academic and administrative leadership of the
* Is responsible for the realization of the academic goals of the
College, as described in the College's academic plan.
*Is responsible for working with administrative leadership to facilitate
the campusí student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented
* Is responsible for fostering collaborations with academic departments,
programs, and key campus units to enhance the quality of undergraduate
* Shares with the College faculty, the appropriate academic departments,
and the respective Program Directors the responsibility for the
supervision of academic programs, developed and administered under the
aegis of the College, including the associated core courses sequence
and the college writing program.
* Is responsible for promoting and enhancing an environment of diversity
and inclusion for the College.
* Is responsible for promoting an environment in which the highest
standards of ethical conduct are understood to be a primary
responsibility of all members of the College.
* Supervises the academic employees and professional staff of the
College - Academic Coordinators, Dean of Academic Advising, Dean of
Student Affairs, and other staff members who report to the Provost.
* Is responsible for the authority and oversight of the College budgets
* Is responsible for the management and administration of the associated
college writing program and associated core courses sequence, including
all budget, FTE, and personnel matters.
* Serves as ex officio member of the College's governing body, which is
advisory to the Provost.
* Is responsible for orientation of new undergraduate students, transfer
students, and their parents.
* Certifies students of the College for graduation upon completion of
* To the degree permitted by his or her administrative responsibilities,
engages in teaching and research commensurate in quality with his or her
rank as a member of the UC San Diego faculty.
* Serves, as appointed, on various campus-wide and system-wide
* Is responsible for the programmatic aspects of College residence-hall
* Is responsible for recreational, social and cultural programming for
* Is responsible for student government in the College.
* Is responsible for development activities on behalf of the College.
* Is a member of the campus administration
* Must hold a full-time, tenured appointment in one of UC San Diego's
* Must have a commitment to undergraduate education.
* Must have demonstrated leadership skills.
* Must have a strong, demonstrated commitment to the achievement of
* Must have the skills and knowledge to direct and supervise the
professional staff of the College.
* Must have the interpersonal skills to work effectively with students,
parents, faculty, staff, and alumni as well as the general public.
* Must be willing to work collaboratively across the Colleges, with
academic departments, and with the Academic Senate to help achieve
* Must have knowledge and skills in budgeting and fiscal management.