FACILITIES DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
February 6, 2015
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
Construction to improve the I-5/Genesee Avenue Interchange began on January 29, 2015 and will be completed approximately December 2018. The City of San Diego project, which is being implemented by Caltrans, will replace the existing six lane Genesee Avenue overpass with a ten lane structure that will better accommodate current and future traffic demands. Along with replacement of the overpass, the project will also widen the freeway access ramps, add auxiliary lanes on I-5 between Genesee Avenue and Roselle Street, and provide a dedicated path for the exclusive use of bicyclists and pedestrians (with a terminus on the UC San Diego campus at the intersection of Gilman Drive and Voigt Drive).
Immediate Street Traffic, Bike Lane, and Pedestrian Impacts:
· Intermittent traffic delays
· Site preparation including vegetation and tree removal
· Installation of temporary concrete safety barriers (k-rail) along I-5 and on-/off-ramps
· Construction-related noise, dust, large equipment, and signage along I-5 and within and around the Campus Services Complex
· Bike access will be maintained along the I-5 shoulder
· Access to Scripps Memorial Hospital and Science Center Drive will be maintained throughout the project
· Emergency responders will have access to nearby hospitals 24 hours/day, seven days/week
· Overnight lane closures will occur as needed
During construction, motorists are urged to slow down and all travelers are encouraged to give themselves more time and anticipate possible traffic delays.
Please view the area map at:
For project information:
If you have any questions, please contact Facilities Design & Construction Principal Architect Deborah Alto at email@example.com or 858.822.6849 or Project Specialist Mary Alice Lorio at firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-534-2981.We greatly appreciate your patience during these particularly disruptive construction activities.