April 27, 2015
ALL STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
(including UC San Diego Health System)
SAFE FOR SUN GOD
The campus has supported and enhanced key safety initiatives around the Sun God Festival, such as the Responsible Action Protocol and Floaties program. For this year’s festival, there are additional safety initiatives to prevent serious student conduct related incidents. Specifically, students engaging in specific behaviors from Thursday, April 30 at 8 p.m. to Monday, May 4 at 8 a.m. resulting in specified action by the UC San Diego Police Department (PD) and their affiliated partners, will be restricted from attending the festival.
· If the incident occurs up through to the conclusion of the festival, the student will not be able to attend this year’s event. If the incident occurs after the festival closes, they will not be able to attend next year’s event. Examples of such actions and behaviors necessitating a student’s restriction from the festival include:
o Student is arrested and taken to jail (e.g. under the influence or distributing controlled substances, driving under the influence).
o Student is given a citation and released by the officer (e.g. behaviors necessitating arrest, possession of controlled substances - not including marijuana).
o Student engages in behavior potentially necessitating arrest or citation but is instead transported to the hospital.
· A.S. Concerts and Events (ASCE) will receive lists of students necessitating restriction from the festival based on the actions and behaviors listed above. ASCE will ensure that students are unable to complete their festival registration or are unable to enter the festival when their ID cards are scanned at the gate.
· These restrictions will be in place from Thursday, April 30 at 8 p.m. to Monday, May 4 at 8 a.m., consistent with the revised Residential Guest Policy.
· Information is included on the Sun God Festival website and in the registration agreement so that students know of the potential restrictions prior to the event.
· Additionally, the existing Sun God Festival Weekend Residential Guest Policy will remain in place. The policy is designed to mitigate the prospect of multiple large gatherings and disruptions in the residential communities and to assist RAs to efficiently handle any situations in the living areas over the four days of the weekend of the Sun God Festival.
· Specifically, parts of the policy to know about include:
o Only residents of their respective residential areas are allowed to be present in living spaces of those areas during specified time periods during the weekend of the Sun God Festival. Non-residents involved in student conduct or other incidents will be asked to leave the area in the event they are found present when an incident has occurred. Non-residents may be documented for non-compliance if they do not comply with staff when asked to leave the living area.
o Policy will apply to all college residential areas on campus as well as village residential areas and to living spaces only (rooms and common areas in residence halls and apartments). It will not apply to public spaces (e.g. study rooms), dining areas, or outdoor spaces in the residential areas.
o The policy will apply during the following time periods during the weekend of the Sun God Festival (April 30 to May 4): Thursday, 8 p.m. to Friday, 8 a.m.; Friday, 8 p.m. to Saturday, 8 a.m.; Saturday, 8 p.m. to Monday, 8 a.m. (encompassing the entire day of the festival).