July 9, 2015
ALL ACADEMICS AT UC SAN DIEGO (Internal Recruitment Only)
I am pleased to invite applications and nominations for the position of Faculty Director, Postdoctoral Scholar Educations and Training. The search for the Faculty Director will be confined to the UC San Diego campus, and candidates must hold associate/full professor faculty appointments. Demonstrated success in postdoctoral research mentoring and prior administrative experience is required, and strong commitment to institutional diversity is essential. The Faculty Director will be appointed to serve 50% for an initial 3 year term (renewable).
The Faculty Director for Postdoctoral Education and Training reports to the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR).
Responsibilities of this position include:
* Evaluate current campus postdoctoral education and training programs, and develop short and long term strategies to meet the needs of postdoctoral career development.
* Create innovative professional development programs that increase career competitiveness of postdoctoral scholars in both academia and industry.
* Work closely with faculty, postdocs and campus partners to improve current training practices, create effective mentoring behavior, and standardize training opportunities.
* Actively work with faculty and departments to promote diversity in the postdoctorate.
* Promote and facilitate faculty application of training grants, and individual postdoctoral fellowships.
Skills and/or experience necessary to perform this position:
* Hold an associate or full professor appointment at UC San Diego.
* Evidence of commitment to promoting excellence in research.
* Demonstrated experience mentoring postdoctoral scholars.
* Experience serving on federal research review committees such as NIH or NSF.
* Familiarity with national and foundation funded fellowship opportunities.
* Involvement with multiple national fellowship training programs.
* Distinguished record of research, teaching and professional service.
* Demonstrated ability to work in an environment of participatory governance.
* Demonstrated leadership skills and proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively with campus leadership, faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars and public.
* Demonstrated contributions to the larger campus community including efforts to promote diversity, equal opportunity, inclusiveness, and UCSD Principles of Community.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send applications (e.g. CV, letter of introduction or biographical summary) to Vice Chancellor Sandra Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you would like to nominate someone, please send your nomination to VC Sandra Brown at the email address above. You need not contact the individual to ascertain whether he or she is willing to be considered as a candidate. All nominees will be contacted, in confidence, to discuss their willingness to have their names put forward for consideration. Nominations and applications received by July 31, 2015 will receive full consideration. A search committee will assist with the selection process.