OFFICE OF THE CHANCELLOR
OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR -
EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
November 29, 2016
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
SUBJECT: || World AIDS Day 2016 on December 1|
UC San Diego will honor World AIDS Day on Thursday, December 1, 2016, to
focus attention on and raise awareness about the impact that HIV/AIDS
has had and continues to have in the San Diego community, the nation,
and the world.
In recognition of World AIDS day, our campus sponsors a number of
opportunities on the week of the event, and throughout the day December
1 in recognition of World AIDS Day, including the display of three
sections of the AIDS Memorial Quilt in the Price Center Ballroom East
from 10:00 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.
Other opportunities on December 1 include:
· A passport event for students, with an opportunity to win a free
iPad Air for completed passports.
· Dr. Ankita Kadakia from UC San Diego’s Owen Clinic will speak at
12:30 p.m. in the Price Center John Muir College Room discussing the
drug Truvada as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), a strategy that helps
prevent HIV infection, as well as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).
· Stories from young people living with HIV from the UC San Diego
Mother, Child and Adolescent HIV program will be shared at 6:30 p.m. in
the Price Center Ballroom East.
· Free and confidential HIV testing from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
on UC San Diego’s Library Walk, courtesy of Family Health Centers of San
Diego, as well as screening for Hepatitis C and other STIs.
· Continuous screening of “Compulsive Practice” in the Price
Center East Ballroom: an hour-long, curated video program by Visual AIDS
built from clips of the compulsive, daily, habitual video practices of
nine artists and activists who live with their cameras and have been
deeply impacted by HIV/AIDS.
· Red ribbon distribution throughout campus and on Library Walk.
· Poster presentations from UC San Diego’s AIDS Research Institute
undergraduate and graduate student researchers in the Price Center
· HIV/AIDS Resource and Information Fair, Tree of Remembrance, and
photo booth from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Library Walk.
· Presentations in each of UC San Diego’s Campus Community Centers
regarding the intersection of HIV/AIDS with specific communities.
Prior to December 1, activities include:
· On Tuesday, November 29, and Wednesday November 30, from 11:00
a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Library Walk you can pick up your red ribbon and
learn more about HIV and AIDS with the Student Health Advocates. There
will also be a Snapchat geo-filter available on the days leading up to
and on the day of the event.
In recognition of this event, one hour of administrative leave with pay
has been approved for employees to apply to their attendance at any
World AIDS Day event. Supervisors may allow one hour of administrative
leave with pay for staff to participate in World AIDS Day programs, as
long as the absence does not infringe upon the performance of required
job duties or patient care.
Information regarding all of the World AIDS Day activities at UC San
Diego may be found at http://worldAIDSday.ucsd.edu.
Pradeep K. Khosla|
Vice Chancellor –
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion