March 7, 2016
ALL SENATE FACULTY MEMBERS AT UC SAN DIEGO
I am pleased to announce the 2016-17 Course Development and Instructional Improvement Program (CDIIP). Applications are due April 4, 2016 and can be found at https://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/evc/cdiip.html
The Course Development and Instructional Improvement Program (CDIIP) provides funding to support faculty projects to enhance undergraduate instruction. Proposals for 2016-17 funding will be reviewed by the CDIIP Committee. The Executive Vice Chancellor - Academic Affairs will make the final allocation decisions. Funding is available in three groups:
* $100K for small ($2K-$5K) individual or modest (<$25K) team efforts
* $100K allocation from the UCOP ILTI program for the development of a completely online course or courses
* $100K allocation from Academic Affairs for the development of hybrid or online courses
Additional course and budget detail for proposals under the second and third bullets above likely will be requested after initial review.
The committee looks for projects that can improve the quality of undergraduate education, impact many students, improve time-to-degree, and increase interactions between faculty and students, particularly at the lower division level. Faculty members are encouraged to develop comprehensive strategies to improve undergraduate instruction in collaboration with their departments or academic units, the Teaching + Learning Commons, and the Office for Online and Technology Enhanced Education, as appropriate. We especially encourage proposals that address the varied needs and perspectives of our diverse student population. Additionally, faculty experiments with new instructional technologies, including the development of online, hybrid, or flipped courses are welcomed.
Applications must include a plan for assessment of student learning outcomes, and a plan for sustaining the efforts beyond the duration of the grant.
Awards will be made in the form of grants to cover expenses including but not limited to faculty release time, faculty summer support, summer graduate student support, support for Educational Technology Services or other technical assistance, materials, or other justifiable expenses.
Awards will be announced in Spring Quarter 2016. Funds will be available beginning July 1, 2016.
* Full-time Senate faculty who are engaged in undergraduate education are eligible.
* Funds may be used for faculty release time, faculty summer support, summer graduate student support, support for Educational Technology Services or other technical assistance, materials, or other justifiable expenses.
* A progress report on each course development and instructional improvement award will be due on June 30, 2017.
Please contact Barbara Sawrey, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Dean of Undergraduate Education (AVCDUE@ucsd.edu), for questions regarding the CDIIP.