July 29, 2016
ALL ACADEMICS AT UC SAN DIEGO
KEY ADMINISTRATORS/KEY SUPPORT STAFF
POLICY AND PROCEDURE MANUAL HOLDERS
EVC Subramani and I are pleased to announce the revision of Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM) Section 230-15, Family Accommodations Policy, effective retroactive to July 1, 2016.
In 2014-2015, the Academic Senate, in partnership with the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI), convened a Joint Academic-Administration Task Force on Family Accommodations (Task Force) to consider more competitive and flexible family accommodations for UC San Diego faculty. The Task Force made a number of recommendations intended to 1) expand benefits to increase equity and reflect the changing landscape and diversity of the family unit, 2) reduce the actual or perceived stigma associated with utilizing family accommodations, 3) and encourage broader use of family accommodations.
The revisions to PPM 230-15 are responsive to recommendations made by the Task Force, and include:
* Addition of parental bonding leave for all parents with a new child entering the home, up to six weeks paid
* Revision to allow up to two quarters of ASMD for all new parents, regardless of childbearing status
* Expansion of ASMD to allow use of the benefit for additional family care responsibilities, such as the care of a seriously ill family member or for significant eldercare responsibilities
* Replacing unpaid parental leave with unpaid “family leave” which would allow leave for significant eldercare responsibilities and for the care of seriously ill family members
* Expansion of the basis for an extension of the probationary period to include additional family care responsibilities
* Expansion of the flexible workload benefit to include faculty in all ranks
A summary of the major revisions to PPM 230-15 is available at: http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/aps/policydev/index.html
The revised policy is available at the following website: http://adminrec ords.ucsd.edu/PPM/docs/230-15.html
If you have any questions concerning the revisions to PPM 230-15, please contact Kelly Lindlar, Director, Academic Policy Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or x24564.