August 14, 2016
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
On 8/14/2016 at 2100 hours, the UC San Diego Police Department received information regarding a sexual battery which had occurred at 3929 Noble Drive on 8/13/16 between 2200 hours and 2300 hours.
The suspect was described by the victim as a black male adult, 25-30 years old, 5’9” to 5’11”, approximately 180lbs with a medium or athletic build, with short black hair and a short black beard. At the time of the incident, the suspect was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, gray shorts with vertical red stripes on the side, and black sneakers. He was carrying a backpack and armed with a handgun.
If you have information that could be helpful in this investigation, please contact the UC San Diego Police Department at (858) 534-4357 or send an email to email@example.com.
General Safety Considerations:
• Travel well-lighted, busy routes. Avoid walking or parking in shadowed areas. Have your keys in your hand as you approach your door, and remember to be alert to what and who is around you.
• Be especially aware of your surroundings when you may be less alert and more vulnerable to an attack, e.g., during periods of stress, when you are upset or sick, or if you have been drinking.
• Use discretion and caution when taking shortcuts through isolated areas of the campus.
• Know the location of campus emergency telephones on routes to and from campus destinations.
• Use the UCSD Safety Escort Program, (858) 534-WALK, available daily from dusk to dawn.
If you discover someone inside your residence:
If possible, immediately leave your residence and go to a safe area (e.g., a neighbor’s apartment or a public place). Contact the police as soon as possible. If you are unable to leave your residence, secure yourself and family members in a safe location, turn on all available lights, and contact the police immediately.
The UC San Diego Police Department encourages anyone who believes that he or she has been a victim of a sexual assault (or is the friend of someone who has been a victim of a sexual assault) to immediately contact local law enforcement. On-campus, the UC San Diego Police Department can be reached at (858) 534-4357.
Survivors of any form of sexual assault are encouraged to seek confidential support at UC San Diego’s CARE at the Sexual Assault Resource Center (CARE at SARC), which is located at the Student Services Center, Room #555. CARE advocates are available 24 hours a day at (858) 534-5793.
Additional information on options for reporting sexual violence and resources for survivors can be found at the UC San Diego’s Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD) website http://ophd.ucsd.edu