OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR-
UC SAN DIEGO POLICE DEPARTMENT
September 21, 2016
ALL STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
SUBJECT: || Welcome Back and Be Safe|
With the new school year kicking off, we would like to welcome all new
and returning students to campus. The year ahead promises to be an
exciting one, full of studying, connecting with friends, working hard
and having fun.
To make the year the best it can be, please remember to be safe and to
look out for one another. While the university strives to ensure that
the campus and surrounding community are safe, there are many simple
steps you can take to improve your safety and wellbeing.
Following are important tips to stay safe:
1. Be aware and pay attention to your surroundings at all times.
2. Use discretion and caution when taking shortcuts through
isolated parts of campus.
3. Buddy up or use the Community Service Officer (CSO) Escort
Program, which is available daily from sunset to 1 a.m. Call (858) 534-WALK (9255) to arrange for an escort or learn more at: http://police.ucsd.edu/services/cso.html
4. Lock your room, apartment or car doors at all times, even if
stepping away for “just a minute.”
5. Become a responsive bystander and consider stepping in if you
witness an uncomfortable situation. Learn more about bystander
intervention and violence prevention at:
6. Practice beach and cliff safety. Abide by all signage and never
swim alone. More information on the beauty and dangers of our coastline can be found at: http://go.ucsd.edu/2dhgvE9
7. Trust your instincts and don’t be afraid to speak up. If you
see something, say somethingTM and report suspicious activity by calling 911 or (858) 534-HELP (4357). Learn more about what to report at:
You can find more information on campus police services and staying safe
on the UC San Diego Police Department website:
http://police.ucsd.edu/safety/index.html If you are off-campus and need
to reach the San Diego Police Department for a non-emergency, please
call (619) 531-2000 or visit their contact page at:
We wish you a safe and happy year at UC San Diego. Go Tritons!
Juan C. González|
Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs
Chief of Police