September 28, 2016
ALL ACADEMICS AT UC SAN DIEGO
As announced earlier this year, Graduate Dean Kim Barrett will conclude her tenure as Dean effective December 31, 2016.
I write to invite nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the Graduate Division. As a key member of the University's leadership, the Dean reports directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs and represents the university at the campus, local, state, and national levels. The detailed job description for the Graduate Dean position follows this announcement.
The search for the Dean of the Graduate Division will be confined to the UC San Diego campus, and candidates must hold full-time, tenured faculty appointments. The Dean will be appointed to serve at 100% time for a five-year term, renewable following appropriate review.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing candidates in October 2016 and will continue until the position is filled. Nominations and applications received by October 27, 2016 will receive full consideration. Application materials (a statement of interest, curriculum vitae, email address, and names of references) should be submitted electronically in confidence, to:
Search Committee for the Dean of the Graduate Division
If you would like to nominate someone, please send your nomination to the address given above. You need not contact the individual to ascertain if they are willing to be considered as a candidate. Sr. AVC Hodgkiss will contact all nominees, in confidence, to discuss their willingness to have their names put forward to the search committee.
POSITION DESCRIPTION - RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE GRADUATE DEAN
The Graduate Division is the central resource for all matters related to graduate education at UC San Diego. The Division is there at every step in a graduate student's career, helping students navigate their path from admission to graduation and beyond. Working behind-the-scenes and in collaboration with faculty, staff and students, the Graduate Division guides today's scholars on their upward trajectory to becoming tomorrow's leaders.
GRADUATE STUDIES ADMINISTRATION
* Oversees graduate admissions, academic progress to degree, financial
support, student affairs, graduate student academic employee collective
bargaining, and the granting of higher degrees;
* Serves as an ex-officio member of the Graduate Council of the Academic Senate in administering policies, procedures, requirements, and standards for graduate study;
* Collaborates with academic departments to recruit and admit an excellent and diverse graduate student body;
* Coordinates the reviews of individual graduate programs; and
* Represents UC San Diego at the University of California (UC) Council of Graduate Deans, the AAU Association of Graduate Schools, the Council of Graduate schools, and other UC and national forums.
* Reviews and makes recommendations on Academic Senate faculty career
reviews for the School of Global Policy and Strategy and the Rady School
* Advises the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs on General Campus budget priorities and resource allocations for graduate education; and serves on the General Campus Program Review Committee;
* Advises senior Development staff and assumes a leadership role in fundraising initiatives for graduate student support;
* Collaborates with academic deans, department chairs, Counseling & Psychological Services, Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity & Inclusion and senior administrative staff to create an equitable, inclusive and supportive student-centric campus; and
* Advises and makes recommendations to the Executive Vice Chancellor, Campus Counsel, and senior administrative staff on the review and resolution of academic employee relations issues.