November 28, 2017
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO (Including UCSD Medical Center)
UC San Diego will honor World AIDS Day on Friday, December 1, 2017, to focus attention on and raise awareness about the impact that HIV/AIDS has had and continues to have in the San Diego community, the nation, and the world.
Our campus sponsors a number of opportunities during the week of the event and throughout the day on December 1 in recognition of World AIDS Day, including the display of three sections of the AIDS Memorial Quilt in the Price Center Ballroom East from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. More information regarding all of the World AIDS Day activities at UC San Diego can be found at http://worldAIDSday.ucsd.edu
The entire campus community is encouraged to wear red on Friday, December 1, to honor World AIDS Day and remember those who have passed away. At 1:00 p.m. on December 1, a picture will be taken of people wearing red in the formation of a living ribbon, like the red ribbon used for HIV/AIDS awareness, on the steps in front of the Triton Sculpture at the Price Center.
Other opportunities on December 1 include:
· A passport event for students, with an opportunity to win a free iPad Air for completed passports.
· Dr. Ankita Kadakia from UC San Diego’s Owen Clinic will speak at 12:00 p.m. in the Cross Cultural Center, located in the Price Center, discussing the drug Truvada as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), a strategy that helps prevent HIV infection, as well as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).
· Free and confidential HIV testing from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on UC San Diego’s Library Walk, courtesy of Family Health Centers of San Diego, as well as screening for other STIs.
· Continuous screening of “Alternate Endings, Radical Beginnings” by Visual AIDS in the Price Center East Ballroom: an hour-long, curated video program prioritizing Black narratives within the ongoing AIDS epidemic.
· Red ribbon distribution throughout campus and on Library Walk.
· Poster presentations of HIV/AIDS related research from UC San Diego students, staff, postdocs, and faculty in the Price Center Ballroom East.
· HIV/AIDS Resource and Information Fair, photo booth from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Library Walk.
· Display of student handprint pledges from each of the six colleges, to be collected throughout the week leading up to World AIDS Day.
To learn more about activities prior to December 1, please visit: http://worldAIDSday.ucsd.edu
In recognition of this event, one hour of administrative leave with pay has been approved for employees to attend any World AIDS Day event. Supervisors may allow one hour of administrative leave with pay for employees to participate in World AIDS Day programs, as long as the absence does not infringe upon the performance of required job duties or patient care.