April 4, 2017
ALL ACADEMICS AT UC SAN DIEGO
Policy Format; Revisions to PPM 230-20 - Academic Appointments, PPM 230-28 - Academic Advancements and Reappointments, and PPM 230-29 - Policies and Procedures to Ensure Fairness in the Academic Personnel Review Process
I am pleased to submit for formal campus review proposed revisions to UCSD Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM) Sections 230-20 - Academic Appointments, PPM 230-28 - Academic Advancements and Reappointments, and PPM 230-29 - Policies and Procedures to Ensure Fairness in the Academic Personnel Review Process. The proposed revised policies and a summary of the revisions are available at:
Updates have been made to make the PPM provide local academic appointment and advancement policies consistent with the system-wide Academic Personnel Manual (APM). The content of PPM 230-20, PPM 230-28 and PPM 230-29 has been reorganized to adopt the structure of the APM. For clarity, duplicative language (policy language which currently appears in both the PPM the APM) has been removed from the newly proposed PPM Sections.
The primary goal of the proposal is to modify the presentation of existing policy to reduce confusion for the campus community and increase efficiency; however, the proposed revisions do include limited changes that are required to bring UCSD policy into conformance with the system-wide APM. Key revisions are listed below; and detailed on the summary of proposed revisions available on the Academic Personnel Services website:
1) Content of Proposed PPM 230-330 - Specialist Series, has been updated to reflect substantive revisions to System-wide APM 330 - Specialist Series (effective July 1, 2015), which had not yet been incorporated into the PPM;
2) Content of Proposed PPM 230-360 - Librarian Series, has been updated to reflect substantive revisions to System-wide APM 360 - Librarian Series (effective October 1, 2016), which had not yet been incorporated into the PPM.
3) Language in Proposed PPM 230-133 - Limitation on Total Period of Service with Certain Academic Titles, has been updated for compliance with system-wide policy.
4) Language in proposed PPM 230-311-10 concerning the performance criteria in the Project Scientist series has been updated for compliance with system-wide policy.
5) Language in current PPM 230-29 III. G 1.,stating that procedural safeguards outlined in the policy apply only to current University of California employees has been removed for compliance with system-wide policy.
6) Notice requirements referred to in current PPM 230-28 VII. D. 7. have been updated for compliance with system-wide policy.
The proposed revisions are currently being reviewed by the UC San Diego Academic Senate. If you have any comments or questions regarding the proposed revisions, please contact Kelly Lindlar, Director of Academic Policy Development, Academic Personnel Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 2, 2017.