ENVIRONMENTAL AND BUILDING SERVICES
February 6, 2018
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF, AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
City of San Diego traffic engineers evaluated the intersection of Downwind Way and La Jolla Shores near Scripps Institution of Oceanography for both pedestrian and vehicular safety at the request of UC San Diego administration. Based on their assessment, the following improvements have now been implemented:
* Laddered pedestrian crosswalk moved to the north side of Downwind Way
* Pedestrian activated flashing lights commonly referred to as RRFBs (Rectangular Rapid Flash Beacon) installed at the east and west ends of the crosswalk
* High visibility pedestrian warning and pedestrian crossing signs installed to the east and west of La Jolla Shores Drive In addition to the above, the campus completed the replacement of the road along Downwind Way and Shellback Way.
Additional improvements at the intersection of La Jolla Shores Drive and Downwind Way will occur in Spring and Summer 2018. These will include:1. Improvements to the sidewalk to the east of La Jolla Shores Drive in proximity to Downwind Way
2. Providing a continuous and safe pedestrian path of travel from La Jolla Shores Drive onto Downwind Way for those using both the newly relocated crosswalk and the sidewalk, east of La Jolla Shores Drive
3. Installation of truncated domes/pedestrian ramps at the east and west ends of the crosswalk at La Jolla Shores Drive
4. Installation of truncated domes/pedestrian ramps on the north and south side of the crosswalk at Downwind Way
5. Removal and the trimming back of trees to ensure safety lines of sight
6. Repair and restriping of the pedestrian crosswalk across Downwind Way and the installation of truncated domes/pedestrian ramps on the north and south side of the crosswalk at Downwind Way
7. Repair of road segment on La Jolla Shores Drive, adjacent to the east sidewalk alongside the Deep Sea Drilling Building
8. Installation of a new 10” water line in Downwind Way between La Jolla Shores Drive and Shellback Way, across La Jolla Shores Drive, and tying into an existing 8” main on the west side of La Jolla Shores Drive
As a reminder, we encourage you to use the overhead Scripps Pedestrian Bridge Crossing, which continues be the safest way to cross La Jolla Shores Drive in this area. It takes only a few minutes longer to use the bridge, and is a safer, more pleasant experience. If you do choose to cross La Jolla Shores Drive among vehicular traffic, please use extreme caution.
If you have any questions associated with these improvements please contact Facilities Management Project Manager Nirav Desai at email@example.com or (858) 534-2881. We greatly appreciate your patience during these activities.