OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE CHANCELLOR -
September 27, 2019
ACADEMIC SENATE MEMBERS
KEY ADMINISTRATORS AND KEY SUPPORT STAFF
SUBJECT: || Call for Applications and Nominations - Seventh College Provost|
Applications and nominations are invited for the position of Provost at Seventh College.
The Provost serves as the academic and administrative leader of the
College and is responsible for the oversight of all educational affairs
and activities. The ideal candidate will have an engaged, visible and
approachable presence, and will be effective in fostering collaborations
with partners across Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and other key
campus units to enhance the student experience and further campus goals
to be a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public
The Provost search will be confined to the UC San Diego campus, and
candidates must hold full-time, tenured faculty positions (including
Teaching Professors) in one of our academic departments or colleges. The
Provost appointment will be for a period of five years, renewable after
appropriate review. The general job description and required
qualifications for a Provost follow this announcement and are also
posted on the web at:
http://evc.ucsd.edu/initiatives/seventh-provost.html. Information on the
academic theme and other specific aspects of Seventh College may be
found on the college website at: https://seventh.ucsd.edu/.
Please send via electronic mail a statement of interest for Seventh
College, a copy of your vita, a diversity statement, and names of three
references to: John Moore, Dean of Undergraduate Education and Chair,
Seventh College Provost Search Advisory Committee
If you would like to nominate someone, please send your nomination to
email@example.com. You need not contact the nominee to ascertain
their willingness to be considered. The Search Advisory Committee Chair
will contact all nominees, in confidence, to discuss their willingness
to have their names put forward to the Search Advisory Committee.
Nominations and applications received by October 18, 2019 will receive
full consideration by the Search Advisory Committee. The Search Advisory
Committee membership can be found here:
Elizabeth H. Simmons|
Executive Vice Chancellor
* Is responsible for the academic and administrative leadership of the
* Is responsible for the realization of the academic goals of the
College, as described in the College's academic plan.
* Is responsible for working with administrative leadership to
facilitate the campusí student-centered, research-focused,
* Is responsible for promoting and enhancing an environment of equity,
diversity and inclusion for the College.
* Is responsible for promoting an environment in which the highest
standards of ethical conduct are understood to be a primary
responsibility of all members of the College.
* Is responsible for fostering collaborations with academic departments,
programs, and key campus units to enhance the quality of undergraduate
* Shares with the College faculty, the appropriate academic departments,
and the respective Program Directors the responsibility for the
supervision of academic programs, developed and administered under the
aegis of the College, including the associated core courses sequence and
the college writing program.
* Supervises the academic employees and professional staff of the
College - Academic Coordinators, Dean of Academic Advising, Dean of
Student Affairs, and other staff members who report to the Provost.
* Is responsible for the authority and oversight of the College budgets
* Is responsible for the management and administration of the associated
college writing program and associated core courses sequence, including
all budget, FTE, and personnel matters.
* Serves as ex officio member of the College's governing body, which is
advisory to the Provost.
* Is responsible for orientation of new undergraduate students, transfer
students, and their parents.
* Certifies students of the College for graduation upon completion of
* To the degree permitted by the Provostís administrative
responsibilities, engages in teaching and research commensurate in
quality with their rank as a member of the UC San Diego faculty.
* Serves, as appointed, on various campus-wide and system-wide
* Is responsible for the programmatic aspects of College residence-hall
* Is responsible for recreational, social and cultural programming for
* Is responsible for student government in the College.
* Is responsible for development activities on behalf of the College.
* Is a member of the campus administration
* Must hold a full-time, tenured appointment in one of UC San Diego's
academic departments (including Teaching Professors).
* Must have a commitment to undergraduate education.
* Must have demonstrated leadership skills.
* Must have a strong, demonstrated commitment to the achievement of
* Must have the skills and knowledge to direct and supervise the
professional staff of the College.
* Must have the interpersonal skills to work effectively with students,
parents, faculty, staff, and alumni as well as the general public.
* Must be willing to work collaboratively across the Colleges, with
academic departments, and with the Academic Senate to help achieve
* Must have knowledge and skills in budgeting and fiscal management.