University of California, San Diego
October 6, 1999
SUBJECT: Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and
I am pleased to announce the call for nominations for the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and Diversity Awards. Chancellor Dynes will be presiding over this awards program which is designed to recognize those individuals, departments, and organizational units who have made outstanding contributions to the diversification of the career staff work force at UCSD during the affirmative action reporting period of November 1, 1998 through October 31, 1999.
Nominations will be received at the Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action Office at Torrey Pines Center South, Room 370, mail code 0923. All nominations must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, November 1, 1999. Electronic nominations will be considered providing all nominating material and personal electronic endorsements from the nominators are received by the deadline. Please send your electronic nomination to Linda Olvera at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Nominations Review Panel, consisting of a representative from each Vice Chancellor unit, has been appointed to review the nominations.
1. Individuals or groups of people who have demonstrated competence in support of the University's equal opportunity and affirmative action objectives by making significant contributions to UCSD in one or more of the following areas:
Encouraging diversity in the participation of unit/division/ department activities.
*MANAGING THE DYNAMICS OF DIFFERENCE
Using effective strategies for solving conflict among people whose cultural backgrounds and values may be different.
*ASSESSING ONE'S CULTURE
Recognizing how culture, including the organizational culture, impacts others.
Incorporating knowledge into the organization by integrating information and skills that enable effective cross-cultural interactions.
*ADAPTING TO DIVERSITY
Making changes to practices and/or behaviors to demonstrate cross-cultural recognition.
2. Departments that have demonstrated competence in support of the University's equal opportunity and affirmative action objectives by making significant contributions in one or more of the following areas (as defined above):
3. Departments that have shown progress in increasing the representation of women or people of color over a period of time. This criterion will also consider the placement goals that they have met during this period.
4. Departments that have diversified their work force by increasing the representation of other protected groups such as people with disabilities, special disabled veterans, and Vietnam-era veterans.
5. Individuals, groups, or departments that have demonstrated exemplary support of UCSD's Principles of Community, thereby creating an environment which welcomes diversity.
The nomination's narrative statement should not exceed 300 words. Supplemental materials such as newspaper articles can be submitted. All materials must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, November 1, 1999. All award recipients will be announced prior to the awards program on Tuesday, December 7, 1999.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
We the undersigned nominate the following employee/department/organizational unit for the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and Diversity Award:
Nominee's name Nominee's Payroll Title
Department/Organizational Unit's Name Vice Chancellor Area
To be considered valid, each nomination must be signed by a Principal nominator and two endorsers.
Principal Nominator Department
The deadline for submission of this form and narrative statement is 4:30 p.m., Monday, November 1, 1999. Submit nomination forms to the following address:
Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action