January 13, 2016
Construction to realign Gilman Drive will begin January 18, 2016 and will last until early 2017. The realignment will reconfigure and widen Gilman Drive from Villa La Jolla east and north towards Voigt Drive, and will facilitate connection to the future Gilman Bridge project that will be implemented by Caltrans.
As a result of construction, two parking lots will be impacted:
· Parking Lot 406 at Sixth College/Pepper Canyon will be partially or completely closed during construction, depending on the schedule of work. Significant portions of the lot will be affected beginning January 18.
· Parking Lot P651, the temporary lot located across Gilman Drive from P406, will be closed permanently beginning January 18.
To help ease parking challenges, we have identified parking options you may wish to consider once construction begins:
· P703, P704 and P705 (East Campus/Regents Road). Spaces are generally available all day. The East/Regents shuttle runs every 5-7 minutes from these lots to the Price Center throughout the day.
· P702 (The Preuss School/Voigt Drive). Spaces are generally available all day. The East/Regents shuttle runs every 5-7 minutes from these lots to the Price Center throughout the day.
· Pangea Parking Structure (Roosevelt College). “A” spaces are generally available throughout the day. “B” spaces generally fill by 12 p.m. and begin opening back up at 3 p.m. The Campus Loop shuttle runs every 15 minutes from this location.
· Hopkins Parking Structure (Roosevelt College/RIMAC). Both “A” and “B” spaces are generally available all day. The Campus Loop shuttle runs every 15 minutes from this location.
Once both Gilman Drive and the Gilman Bridge have been constructed, traffic on these roadways will be reduced and getting across campus will be quicker and more efficient. We expect campus parking needs to continue evolving over the next few years as critical regional transportation projects, such as this one, come online. As these changes take place, we will continue to strive to meet the campus’s ongoing parking and access needs.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact Transportation Services at TellTPS@ucsd.edu
If you are interested in learning about commuting alternatives, please visit http://transportation.ucsd.edu/alternatives/
For UC San Diego parking maps, visit http://maps.ucsd.edu
For more information on planned regional transportation projects including the Gilman Drive Realignment, visit http://OnTheGo.ucsd.edu.
Thank you for your continued support.