UC SAN DIEGO POLICE DEPARTMENT
July 5, 2020
ALL ACADEMICS, STAFF AND STUDENTS AT UC SAN DIEGO
|SUBJECT: || Timely Warning – Arson|
On July 5, 2020 at 1:56 a.m., the UC San Diego Police Department
received a report of an arson that occurred at the Scripps Institution
of Oceanography Old Director's House at 8670 Discovery Way. The
reporting party stated they saw flames and smoke coming from the
southeast corner of the building.
The suspect(s) have not been apprehended and the investigation is
If you have information that could be helpful in this investigation,
please contact the UC San Diego Police Department at (858) 534-4357 or
send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The remainder of this email provides general information about
preventing and reporting an arson and is not necessarily related to this
• Report suspicious activity (including the use of open flame) on and
around the open lands, hillsides, canyons and trails anywhere on campus
or in the SIO area to the UC San Diego Police Department immediately by
• Contact the UC San Diego Police Department if you become aware of
someone talking about or planning an arson.
• For Fire Safety Resources, visit https://blink.ucsd.edu/safety/fire/.
• Know your confidential campus support resources:
• UC San Diego students – visit Counseling and Psychological Services
(CAPS): http://caps.ucsd.edu and (858) 534-3755.
• UC San Diego faculty and staff – visit Faculty & Staff Assistance
Program (FSAP): http://blink.ucsd.edu/sponsor/hr/org-chart/fsap.html and
• As an employee of UC San Diego Health, effective January 2018, you
may choose to see a provider for your Employee Assistance and Behavioral
Health Benefits, depending on your medical coverage. Please call the
provider which is aligned with your medical provider at one of the
toll-free telephone numbers below:
• If you have medical coverage with Core, UC Care, or UC Health
Savings Plan (HSP), please call 1-844-437-0486.
• If you have medical coverage with Health Net, Kaiser, or Western
Health Advantage, please call 1-866-808-6205.
The information about this incident is being reported to you in
accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy
and Campus Crime Statistics Act.