University of California, San Diego
April 21, 2008
ALL ACADEMICS AT UCSD
As you may know, the U.S. Open Golf Tournament will be held at the Torrey Pines Golf Course the week of June 9 through June 15, the same week that Spring Quarter final examinations are scheduled. The traffic impact on the campus, and on all who work and attend here, will be very significant. For more information, see the March 21st Campus Notice from UC San Diego Transportation and Parking Services, http://adminrecords.ucsd.edu/Notices/2008/2008-3-21-1.html).
Please be aware of the following regarding Spring Quarter final exams:
* In-class final exams must be delivered as scheduled, according to the Registrar's Schedule of Final Exams (http://blink.ucsd.edu/Blink/External/Topics/Policy/0,1162,18016,00.html).
* Instructors are expected to administer all in-class final exams on the scheduled date and time, regardless of the Tournament's impact on the campus.
* Instructors may opt to require a take-home final exam in place of the in-class final. If so, the take-home final exam cannot be due prior to the scheduled date and time of the in-class final exam. On a class-wide basis, electronic submission by students of completed final exams is not acceptable.
* Instructors may, but are not required to, accommodate requests for alternate exam dates during final exam week.
* No instructor may administer a final exam before final exam week. (See Academic Senate Policy on Final Exams, http://www-senate.ucsd.edu/committees/cep/policychanges/midterm.htm.)
* Instructors may not assign an Incomplete grade because a student missed an in-class final exam due to traffic, lack of parking spaces, etc. (See Academic Senate Regulation on Incompletes, http://www-senate.ucsd.edu/manual/Regulations/PartI/500.htm#500b).
* The responsibilities of Teaching Assistants continue as usual during final exam week.
On the positive side, you should be aware that free public transportation is being made available to UC San Diego students, staff, and faculty for the week of June 9-13 through an arrangement with the Metropolitan Transit System and the North County Transit District. Riders need only show a UC San Diego ID upon boarding a bus, the MTS Trolley, the NCTD Coaster, or Sprinter service to ride free. For transit trip planning assistance, visit http://www.transit.511sd.com.
The coincidence of the U.S. Open and finals week is unquestionably very inconvenient. But, with thoughtful planning and careful adherence to the above standards, the UC San Diego community, working together, can prevent any disruption of our academic enterprise. Your cooperation in this effort is important and greatly appreciated.