Issuance Date: TBD
Issuing Office: Procurement & Contracts
Systemwide Business & Finance Bulletin (BFB)
II. RELATED POLICIES
UCSD Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM)
Delegations of Authority, Supplement IX
Materiel Management Office Functions
University of California Basic Purchasing Policy
A. The Purchasing Division of Materiel Management is a service organization having the responsibility and commensurate authority for establishing campus Purchasing policy and providing procurement services in support of the University's role in teaching, research and public service missions and to support the materiel needs of all facets of University business. The Purchasing Division is empowered to commit the University in all contractual matters except for the purchase of University Bookstore resale stock, library books, on-site construction, and lease of real property.
The Purchasing Division is responsible for providing complete procurement services including:
1. Establishing competition wherever practicable including assisting in the development of procurement specifications; soliciting and processing of bids; conducting price, terms and delivery negotiations.
2. Establishing annual purchase agreements in accordance with sound procurement practices.
3. Maintaining adequate sources of supply, coordinating communications with vendor sales and service representatives and disseminating information on new products and sources.
4. Establishing and maintaining multi-year Planned Purchasing agreements for the UC system.
B. In addition to the above, the Purchasing Division is also responsible for the following functions:
1. Administration of Controlled Substances acquisition and DEA registration.
2. Administration of Independent Consultant agreements.
3. Operation of the Federal Surplus Property acquisition program.
4. Administration of Independent Contractor agreements.
5. Subcontracts and Subcontract Administration.
Subsequent sections of PPM 523 give detailed procedures for compliance by campus departments with the basic and related purchasing policies.