Next Review Date: 02/07/2021
Issuance Date: 02/07/2018
Issuing Office: Creative Services and Publications / University Communication and Public Affairs
This policy applies to all employees and students at UC San Diego locations, including campuses and medical center facilities. This policy applies to all publications published by any unit of UC San Diego.
It is the policy of UC San Diego that materials published by the University display a consistent look and feel, as defined in the Brand Guidelines, and shall carry the university name and/or logo.
A. Externally Disseminated Publications
To support consistent positioning of UC San Diego in the higher education and research markets, publications that will be disseminated outside the campus must be reviewed and approved by Creative Services and Publications (CSP), a department within University Communications and Public Affairs. Units publishing for external audiences shall contact CSP to determine an appropriate review process.
Publications to be reviewed include those for distribution to alumni, prospective students, and other external audiences, including:
1. Recruitment publications for prospective students, staff, and faculty
2. The General catalog and other catalogs
3. Annual reports
4. Admissions packets published by the Office of Enrollment Management
5. Financial Aid publications
6. Divisional, departmental, program, and other academic publications
7. Conference brochures and programs
8. Campus recreation and athletics department publications.
9. Alumni and Advancement publications
12. Publications for use by the public
B. Internally Disseminated Publications
Units are not required to obtain CSP review and approval of publications intended primarily for on-campus use, but units are required to observe UC San Diego’s brand guidelines. Units are encouraged to engage with CSP for guidance as needed.
Internally disseminated publications include:
1. Publications related to on-campus service intended for use by students and staff.
2. Publications of the Personnel Office, Bookstore, Housing and Dining, Student Health and Wellbeing, Human Resources, and Physical Plant office.
3. College handbooks.
4. Orientation brochures. Publications intended for use by current students
Creative Services and Publications is available for consultation or complete production services for publications intended for both external and on-campus audiences.
C. The Academic Senate is charged with supervising copy pertaining to the academic programs contained in the General Catalog.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PUBLICATIONS
The format and overall design of publications will be determined by their purpose, but will also reflect a relationship to one another, and thus to the campus.
The language, design, and overall quality of all publications bearing the name of the campus should reflect the campus’s standard of excellence.
1. The name of the campus will appear on the front cover of all printed UC San Diego publications, either as “University of California San Diego” or using the official UC San Diego logo.
2. The UC San Diego logo will appear at the top and bottom of all UC San Diego webpages and electronic publications.
3. The name of the campus will appear at the beginning and the end of all UC San Diego videos, either as “University of California San Diego” or using the official UC San Diego logo.
4. Other specifications are detailed on the campus brand guidelines website: http://ucpa.ucsd.edu/brand.
CREATIVE SERVICES AND PUBLICATIONS
1. Uphold brand consistency in materials published by the campus
2. Review unit materials for brand consistency
3. Revise and upkeep campus brand guidelines and resources
4. Review and approve externally disseminated publications.
DEPARTMENTS AND UNITS WHO PUBLISH MATERIALS
1. Adhere to campus brand guidelines in published materials.
2. Submit proposed publications to Creative Services and Publications when appropriate and when required by this Policy.
During the planning of a publication, the originating department should contact the Creative Services and Publications (CSP) office for consultation. CSP will advise the department about current UC San Diego brand guidelines and offer recommendations related to internal or external design, editing, and production resources.
If the department chooses to take advantage of Creative Services and Publications services, the department and a project coordinator will discuss the publication in detail and come to agreement on a project budget and timeline.
Contact Creative Services and Publications with questions.
Visit https://pulse.ucsd.edu/ for brand guidelines related to UC San Diego Health.
A. President's Directive, 1/20/65
D. UC SAN DIEGO Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ’S)
Resource: UC San Diego Brand Guidelines
UC San Diego Health Marketing and Communications maintains a set of guidelines for use by the clinical health enterprises. Visit https://pulse.ucsd.edu for more information.
January 3, 1967 This policy was originally issued
January 5, 1976 This policy was revised and reissued.
June 1, 1984 This policy was revised and reissued.
January 03, 2018 This policy was revised and reformatted to conform to revised UCOP and campus brand guidelines.