PPM Logo

510 - Use of University Properties

Section: 510-1 Section IV
Effective: 04/01/1981
Supersedes: Not Applicable
Next Review Date: TBD
Issuance Date: 04/01/1981
Issuing Office: Business Office

PPM 510-1 Section IV Policy [pdf format]


  1. References

    1. University of California Business and Finance Bulletin A-54, 4/10/77.

    2. University of California Business and Finance Bulletin 65, 4/1980.

    3. UCSD Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM) 300-40, Recharge Activities - Operating Guidelines.

    4. UCSD Policy and Procedure Manual (PPM) 522-1, Property Inventory Control System.

    5. UCSD Student Handbook.

    6. SYSTEMWIDE POLICY, refer to Section II: Related Policies.

  2. General Use Space Priorities

    1. Regular academic session;

    2. Summer Session;

    3. University Extension Programs;

    4. Other Requestors.

  3. Official Campus Units

    1. Definition

      A unit of the University is identified as an Administrative Unit in PPM 10-4 or can be any subsection of one of these units authorized by the unit head to operate in the manner of a department.

    2. Policy

      1. Official campus units are provided permanent assignments of space at no charge with the following exceptions:

        1. Auxiliary enterprises may be charged for building depreciation/debt service, utilities, and custodial and grounds services.

        2. Units with debt financed space must generate income through fees or net profits on sales to meet debt service.

        3. A use charge may be assessed for use of facilities which are wholly or partially self-supporting; e.g., theatre space assigned to another unit when such use incurs additional expense, and like circumstances.

      2. Official units may use all campus services at normal rates, except for:

        1. Services funded from Registration Fees.

        2. Services funded by a specific unit for that unit's internal priorities. Normally these services will be available to other units on an "as available" basis.

    3. Procedure

      In addition to space allocated permanently to official units, general use indoor or outdoor space can be reserved to conduct official University business by a verbal request to the appropriate office of jurisdiction (refer to Section III, para. A and B).

  4. Contracted Essential Services

    1. Definition

      Contracting with an outside agency to perform an on-site service which is essential to the University and would otherwise be operated by the University.

    2. Contract

      Competitively bid contract.

    3. Sponsor

      Not applicable.


      This pertains to contracting for an ongoing essential service such as food service and does not pertain to one-time services such as performances.

      Use of University space and services must be detailed in the bid specification and the resultant contract. In general, the contracting agency has the same status as other outside agencies except as provided in the contract for use of University space and services. In regard to services, both direct costs and overhead are recovered.

    5. General Guidelines

      The cost of University space; i.e., building depreciation, is recovered either directly or indirectly as allowable. An indirect method is to receive a higher level of profit sharing or set a lower level of fees in return for free building use. Utilities are charged at metered or estimated usage if the usage is not separately metered.

      Two types of services are provided to the contractor; those which the University may choose to provide to protect its assets such as custodial and grounds, and those which are essential for conducting University business. The latter might be telephones, intra-campus mail, and University mail lists which are necessary for two-way communication with the University community. Generally, the contractor will obtain all other services from commercial sources.

      Contractor's employees can purchase parking permits but have general public status with regard to Library and recreational facility privileges.

      Reservations of meeting and conference rooms would be made as follows: Meetings to conduct University business in reserved space would be arranged by the University official responsible for contract management. Reservations for other purposes would be processed through the Conference Program subject to the criteria, sponsorship, and procedures used for non-University related organizations.

    6. Procedures

      The University official responsible for contract management will make any reservation of general use space for official University business.

      The contractor will interface directly with service departments to receive services allowed by the contract following normal procedures.

  5. On-Site Business by External Agencies

    1. Definition

      Periodic on-site performance of an outside agency's business pertaining to the University.

    2. Contract

      Either legislation or a contract in some form necessitates the work being performed.

    3. Sponsor

      Not applicable. University official designated responsibility for interface with the University.


      This pertains to contract compliance officers, auditors of all sorts, and other agency officers.

      Space normally is not assigned unless the agency's representative is permanently stationed at the University. Representatives on temporary assignments are provided with available space to perform their duties at no charge.

      Only direct costs are charged for services received.

    5. Policy

      If an agency's representative is permanently assigned to on-site duties and assigned space, the agency pays for all associated expenses except that normally there are no room use, custodial, or utility charges.

      The services available to outside agency representatives at direct cost rates are University telephones, intra-campus mail, and copying. If an agency account is established, governmental representatives can purchase goods from the Storehouse and utilize other available services as outlined in the Business and Finance Bulletin, A-54 (refer to this Section, para. A).

      Library and recreational privileges are the same as those available to the general public.

    6. Procedure

      The University official designated responsibility for interfacing between the agency and the University will make any reservations for general use space and arrange for the delivery of services.

  6. Academic Visitors

    1. References

      Postdoctoral Enrollment Program, PPM 165-98. Payments to Postdoctoral Scholars, PPM 165-99. Visiting Scholar Program, PPM 165-100.

    2. Definition

      Scholars are invited by the University to perform on-site research or to pursue their studies for a limited period of time without a University appointment and with support from sources outside of the University.

    3. Contract

      None. Postdoctoral scholars are registered with the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.

    4. Sponsor

      I&R department chair or head of an Organized Research Unit.


      This pertains to postdoctoral scholars who comply with eligibility requirements of PPM 165-98, Subsection A, faculty on sabbatical leave from their home institution and other scholars.

      Available departmental space utilized but not formally assigned to the individuals.

    6. Policy

      The visitor or his/her funding source is not charged for the use of space, custodial service, or utilities. All services are available at total direct cost rates Library privileges are provided in accordance with current procedures and possibly fees.

      Parking and recreational facilities are available by payment of the appropriate fees. Postdoctoral scholars also can obtain health insurance coverage by payment of the appropriate fee.

      Courses may be audited without payment with permission of the instructor.

    7. Procedure

      The host department processes requests for general use space reservations and/or services for academic visitors.

  7. Registered Organizations - General Information

    1. Space

      Registered organizations may use space made available by the campus for organizationally-related programs subject to the availability of space at no charge except in the following circumstances:

      1. Debt financed space is free only to the constituency which is assessed fees to pay the debt; for example, registered student organizations in Registration Fee financed space and residential student organizations in Housing and Food Services bonded space. Income producing organizations with permanently assigned space may be charged a fee to cover debt service for space which otherwise might be free.

      2. Space maintained and supported from outside sources; for example, the International Center may assess a space usage fee to organizations outside of their constituency.

      3. A fee may be charged for use for those facilities which incur unusual expenses to operate; for example, theatres and the Mandeville Suite. Refer to Section VII for expenses associated with the Mandeville Center, Mandeville Suite, and the University Theatre.

      4. Religious and political organizations pay a space usage fee to include building depreciation/debt service, custodial service, and utilities. Fees for incidental usage are excluded (refer to IV-J).

    2. Services

      Registered campus organizations - student and others - are eligible to request all campus services at normal University rates with the following exceptions:

      1. Religious and political organizations shall be assessed an overhead fee covering expenses not included in normal rates and, in accordance with U.S. Postal regulations, cannot use the University's non-profit postal permit.

      2. Non-religious and non-political campus organizations may use equipment, services, and supplies funded by a "sponsoring" or affiliated University unit, as allowable and authorized by the unit at no charge. Such use may include intra-campus mail, telephones, typewriters, and supplies.

    3. Coordination

      The Director, Business Services keeps all service and interested administrative units of the campus informed of registered campus organizations by issuing a quarterly report which contains all pertinent information on such organizations.

    4. Guidelines

      1. A campus organization lending its name, membership, property, or financial support to a function shall be held responsible for the conduct of its members or guests attending the function. The organization's officers or representatives listed on the registration form are responsible for the planning and organization of all functions sponsored or co-sponsored by their organization. At least one officer and one other responsible member must be in attendance at such functions.

      2. Registration of a campus organization may be revoked if the organization's activities are unlawful, are outside of the scope of its stated purpose, are in violation of its constitution or are not in compliance with University policies, procedures, and regulations.

      3. The name, insignia, seal, or address of the University may not be used in any manner, political or otherwise, which implies that the University supports or agrees with any of the activities, positions, purposes, or goals of any registered campus organization or its individual members.

      4. The geographical designation AT UCSD may be used by any registered campus organization as part of its name without obtaining special approval.

      5. Permission to use the name of the University of California, San Diego or any abbreviation thereof as part of a registered campus organization's name may be granted only by the Chancellor or the Chancellor's designee. Permission, when granted, does not involve (expressly or by implication) any endorsement or sponsorship by the University and permission may be made conditional upon a requirement of an express statement that the University does not endorse or sponsor a particular activity. Permission to use the name of the University of California, San Diego may be withdrawn by the Chancellor or the Chancellor's designee at any time.

      6. Registered organizations are expected to maintain adequate financial records if appropriate; i.e. fund-raising activities (refer to Section XI, Fund Raising, along with Exhibit IV-E). Such records may be audited by the University as outlined in Section XI, para. B. 2. c.

  8. Registered Student Organizations

    1. Definitions

      A registered student organization is a group of four or more currently enrolled students who have registered with the Student Affairs Student Organization's Office.

      Special categories of student organizations are:

      1. Associated Students

        Recognized student government.

      2. Coops

        Retail student organizations.

      3. Recreational Clubs

        Physical recreation clubs assigned to the Physical Education Department. Membership is open to staff, faculty, spouses of staff and faculty, alumni, and friends of the University.

      4. Political Organizations

        Refer to Section IV-J for complete definition.

      5. Religious Organizations

        Refer to Section IV-J for complete definition.

      6. Fraternity and Sorority

    2. Registration Procedures

      A student organization initiates and annually updates the following:

      1. A registration form (Exhibit IV-A) containing the names, addresses, phone numbers, and student I.D. numbers of four (4) officers or currently registered members of the organization.

      2. A statement of non-discrimination (Exhibit IV-B).

      3. A copy of the organization's constitution and equivalent document which must include the name of the organization and a statement of purpose.

      4. If applicable, a statement summarizing the rights, responsibilities, and limitations of associate members. While non-University persons are welcome to participate in campus organizational activities if the groups so desire, they may not hold office or vote on organizational issues or in elections.

      5. A statement verifying that the group agrees to comply with State and local laws, University policies, and UCSD regulations.

      The above must be filed with the Student Organizations Office and any changes must be reported to that office as soon as possible.

      Groups classified as either political or religious will be informed of their status at the time of initiation or renewal or registration by the Student Organizations Office. Organizations wishing to question being classified as such may request an administrative review by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or his designee.

    3. Reservation of Space and Services

      All reservations for indoor or outdoor general use space are made by the University Events Office with the approval of the appropriate office of jurisdiction for registered student organizations. However, the Student Center Director shall reserve the Student Center North Conference Room and International Center, and the Student Organizations Advisor shall reserve the Game Room. Additionally, the Manager, Mandeville Center shall reserve space in that facility (refer to Section VII).

      Approval of the Food Service Coordinator and appropriate Resident Dean must be obtained 72-hours in advance of an event in a food facility. All events must have Calendar approval (refer to Section V) prior to reservation of space.

      An authorized officer/member of a registered student organization can order services directly from University service departments.

      During the period prior to action on application for renewal of registration, student organizations may use University facilities for membership meetings but not for fund raising unless special permission is obtained from the Student Organization Advisor.

      Student organizations are eligible to apply for permanent space within Student Affairs facilities.

  9. Registered Campus Organizations

    1. Definitions

      Registered campus organizations consist of a group of staff, faculty, spouses of staff or faculty, alumni, and other persons interested in furthering University goals. The organizational purpose of the group furthers the University's general interests and welfare. Registered campus organizations must be registered with the Director, Business Services.

      1. Employee Associations

        A group of University employees (faculty and/or staff) organized to aid administration in gathering views of affected employees regarding professional activities, operations, salaries, benefits, personnel policies and practices, and other matters of concern to employees and administrators in the University, and may serve to help staff task forces and advisory committees and to help publicize policy, procedures, and other information of interest to employees.

        Employee Associations may not:

          A group of University employees (faculty and/or staff) organized to aid administration in gathering views of affected employees regarding professional activities, operations, salaries, benefits, personnel policies and practices, and other matters of concern to employees and administrators in the University, and may serve to help staff task forces and advisory committees and to help publicize policy, procedures, and other information of interest to employees.

          Employee Associations may not:

          1. Act as advocates or represent individual employees or groups in negotiations, grievances, complaints, or other disputes with management.

          2. Encourage employees to join or elect employee organizations as defined in Section IV-K or interfere with the right of employees to make an informed choice.

          3. Advocate economic, political, public, or other pressures upon the University, disrupt operations, or otherwise injure the valid interests of the University.

          Should an employee association engage in any of the above advocate activities, it could then be identified as an employee organization as defined in Section IV-K and become subject to the Guidelines for Relations with Employee Organizations and, in that case, all management support and endorsement of any kind must then be withdrawn.

          In addition to University property privileges afforded registered campus organizations, employee associations may be granted the following management support with the approval of the Chancellor:

          University funding for appropriate operating expenses, and/or

          A reasonable amount of time off while on pay status for officers and members to pursue legitimate association activities.

      2. University Support Groups

        An unincorporated association or a charitable corporation which obtains and maintains a tax-exempt status, that expresses interest in the campus or an institutional unit within the campus by volunteering assistance through fund-raising efforts, and provides financial or other support for the activities of the unit in which that group has particular interest.

      3. University Associates

        A group from industry/business community that expresses interest in a particular program of the campus by providing financial support, shares perceived needs of industrial applications of technology, and receives program progress reports which are generally available to the public.

      4. Political Organizations

        Refer to Section IV-J for complete definition. Membership is limited to staff, faculty, and students.

      5. Religious Organizations.

        Refer to Section IV-J for complete definition. Membership is limited to staff, faculty, and students.

    2. Registration Procedures

      A registered campus organization initiates and annually updates the following:

      1. A registration form (Exhibit IV-D) containing the organization's officers or four currently registered members of the organization in the absence of officers:

        1. If employees, names, departments, campus addresses, and campus extensions.

        2. If alumni or friends of the University or spouses of staff or faculty, names, addresses, and home telephone numbers.

      2. A statement of Non-Discrimination (Exhibit IV-B).

      3. A copy of the organization's constitution and/or by-laws.

      4. An information sheet (Exhibit IV-E) including a statement of purpose used to categorize the organization and whether financial records will be maintained (refer to Section XI, Fund Raising).

      The above must be filed with the Director, Business Services and any changes must be reported to the Director as soon as possible.

      The Director, Business Services will route the above to the Manager, Labor/Employee Relations and/or the Development Office as appropriate. Upon completion of the classification assignment, the Director, Business Services will return a copy of the Registration form to the responsible member/officer of the organization, along with a summary of pertinent policies, procedures, and the facilities and services available to the organization.

    3. Reservation of Space and Services An authorized officer/member of a registered campus organization can reserve general use indoor and outdoor space with the office of jurisdiction (refer to Section III) and order services directly from University service departments.

  10. Political and Religious Organizations

    1. Definitions

      1. Political Organizations

        A registered campus organization with a statement of purpose of sponsorship of one or more of the following activities:

        1. Supporting or opposing a candidate or group of candidates formally running in a primary or general election for city, county, state, local, or national office.

        2. Supporting or opposing a ballot measure or a drive to put an issue on the ballot.

        3. Raising funds or sponsoring programs to provide on-going support for any political party.

          A registered campus organization that is not a political organization within the above definition may on occasion engage in political activities; that is, those related to the making of governmental policy and, on such occasions, will be treated in the same manner as a political organization.

      2. Religious Organizations

        A registered campus organization that meets one or more of the following criteria:

        1. The activity is viewed by the organization as "religious."

        2. The purpose of the activity is worship, devotion, prayer, or study of religious literature; e.g., the Bible or the Koran.

        3. The membership in or affiliation with a group generally recognized as a religious sect is a criterion for participation.

        4. The state purpose of the activity is to bring together persons professing a belief in God or other belief encompassing theories of Man's nature or place in the Universe and occupying a place in member's lives comparable to organized religion.

        5. Raising funds or sponsoring programs to provide on-going support for any political party.

    2. Policy

      As a State instrumentality, the University must remain neutral on religious and political matters. The University cannot sponsor nor fund religious activities and cannot sponsor or fund political activities, except when authorized by The Regents or the President or their designees. Religious and political campus organizations shall have access to University properties on the same basis as all other registered campus organizations. Properties include space, equipment, supplies, and services. Permanently assigned space for conducting any political or religious activity is charged at established rates which recover building depreciation, debt service, custodial services, and utilities.

      There is no charge for incidental use of space; for example, the use of classrooms for informational meetings. Repetitive or scheduled reservation of space is not considered incidental. There is no charge for use of free speech areas.

      There is no charge for incidental use of equipment; for example, typewriters, which are generally available for other activities. Depreciation and maintenance are charged on assigned or repetitively used equipment.

      University services and supplies are available at established recharge rates plus administrative overhead. Overhead is assessed at the current year's predetermined indirect cost rate for non-Federally sponsored programs, adjusted to exclude costs in the recharge rates. Administrative overhead is not assessed on rates established for sales to the general public; for example, the Bookstore.

      In accordance with U.S. Postal regulations, outgoing U.S. mail cannot be charged to the University's non-profit postal permit for bulk mailings.

      No University-controlled funds may be allocated or donated to support religious or political activities. This includes Associated Students and other mandatory fee monies, unrestricted gifts and donations given to the University, and funds raised by non-political and non-religious campus organizations.

      Persons other than University students, faculty, and staff shall not be permitted to engage in religious or political activities on University grounds, buildings, or other University properties except:

      1. As individuals exercising their rights of free speech, assembly, and worship in free speech areas.

      2. As invited, sponsored speakers to address meetings on campus.

      An invited speaker who exercises political or religious rights (as contrasted to an informational presentation) cannot be paid an honorarium or be reimbursed for expenses unless sponsored by and paid by a religious or political campus organization. Regardless of sponsorship, a room usage charge is assessed unless the meeting is held in a free speech area. Exceptions to this are only authorized by The Regents, the President, or their designees.

      Except as stipulated above, political and religious groups will be treated in the same manner as all other registered campus organizations.

    3. Reservation of Space

      Registered campus political and religious organizations use the same procedures as other registered organizations. Offices with jurisdiction over space will be responsible for assessing a room usage charge for any but incidental use of space. Service departments will be responsible for charging an administrative overhead fee for services performed.

  11. Employee Organizations

    Not to be confused with Employee Associations, Employee Organizations within the meaning of the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) are not covered by this policy. The activities of such organizations involving use of University time or property are governed by applicable policies, procedures, regulations, agreements, and/or guidelines as administered by the Manager, Labor/Employee Relations.

  12. Credit Union

    1. Definition

      A cooperative organization of members with the purpose of providing financial assistance to its members which is chartered by the State or Federal Government in conformance with appropriate legislation.

    2. Criteria

      A Credit Union requesting use of University properties must comply with the following criteria:

      1. Credit Union membership is available to all University employees without restrictions; for example, membership in any other organization or association is not a requirement for Credit Union membership.

      2. The majority of the Credit Union membership is composed of University employees and their immediate families or, in the event no such Credit Union is available, the Credit Union shall be that Credit Union utilized by more University employees than any other Credit Union.

    3. Policy

      Written approval from the Chancellor is required for all of the below uses of University properties:

      1. A Credit Union may be allocated permanent space under a lease agreement and permitted to use University space upon reservation subject to the availability of space. Use of such space is charged at rates which recover building depreciation, utilities, and custodial services plus any extraordinary costs incurred.

      2. Credit Union information may be posted on "General Information Bulletin Boards" subject to the availability of space.

      3. Credit Unions by direction of Systemwide Policy (Business and Finance Bulletin No. 65, April, 1980) are not permitted use of University mail services but may distribute materials relative to their services through other means, subject to University, campus, and/or Laboratory time, place, and manner regulations provided that no charge is made for the materials distributed and prior written approval is obtained from the Chancellor or the Chancellor's designee. All other University services may be used at established recharge rates plus overhead. Rates for auxiliary services are not subject to an overhead markup; for example, parking, Bookstore, Housing and Food Services.

      4. Credit Union employees can purchase parking permits but have general public status with regard to Library and recreational facility privileges.

      5. The Staff Personnel Manager can qualify a Credit Union as meeting criteria for membership payroll deductions. Such deductions must be voluntary and individually authorized and withdrawn by the employees on forms approved by the University.

      6. The Credit Union must agree to pay all administrative costs of payroll deductions.

  13. Non-Profit, Profit, Promotion, Contract, and External Agencies

    1. Definitions

      1. A non-profit organization is a community chest, corporation, trust, fund, or foundation organized or created in the United States, any state, the District of Columbia, or any possession of the United States, and organized and operated exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, scientific, or literary purposes, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition, but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment.

      2. A profit organization is a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or unincorporated association which offers services or goods for sale and has not obtained or maintained non-profit tax status.

      3. A promoter is a profit organization which uses University properties to conduct a commercial activity retaining all financial responsibility and net profits.

      4. Contracted essential services (refer to Section IV-A.2.).

      5. External agencies (refer to Section IV-A.3.).

    2. Contract

      All external organizations and individuals using University properties (space, services, or equipment) are required to have a fully-executed contract with the University prior to making any commitments; for example, advertising or commencing use.

    3. Sponsorship

      All non-university groups wishing to use general campus facilities must have a University sponsor approve the event. This sponsor may either be a departmental sponsor or an institutional sponsor, as described below. The facility manager and the Campus Conference Office will be responsible for the administration of the event.

      1. Departmental Sponsorship

        A University department or unit, including the Academic Senate or one of the recognized campus organizations, may sponsor a non-university group when the group's activities have a direct relationship to the purposes of that University department or unit.

      2. Institutional Sponsorship

        A non-university group may have an institutional sponsor when there is no direct relationship to a University department or unit but when the use of a University facility is in the best interests of the University. Institutional sponsorship must have the approval of the Vice Chancellor-Business Affairs or designee. All requests from non-university groups for institutional sponsorship will first be reviewed by the Campus Conference Services Office, which will make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor-Business Affairs.

      3. Related Use

        The use of a University facility by a non-university group will be considered related when all of the following conditions apply:

        1. The group has an institutional sponsor.

        2. The use will not interfere with any existing University program.

        3. The nature of the event is clearly consistent with University purposes.

        4. The need for the facility will be for a short duration or will have a minor impact on the facility or the general campus.

        5. The general public will not be invited.

        6. The use is clearly consistent with the policies on the extracurricular use of University facilities by non-university groups.

        Requests for the related use of campus facilities by non-university groups need the approval of the Director of Conference Services and the Business Office Manager.

      4. Non-Related Use

        When any one of the above conditions is not present, then the request for the use of a facility will be considered non-related. In the event of any questions regarding the presence of these conditions, then the organization should be considered to be non-related. Such requests for the non-related use of facilities will be reviewed by the Conference Services Office and as needed directed to the Vice Chancellor-Business Affairs or designee for approval.

      5. Functions of Sponsors

        The sponsor determines that the activity of the external organization/individual meets the criteria as delineated in para. 4 below. The sponsor is responsible for coordinating with the proper University office(s) in securing a contract between University and the external organization/individual and in making facility and service arrangements. Finally, the sponsor has financial responsibility for all costs and losses incurred by the University which are not recovered from the external organization/individual.

    4. Guidelines

      In addition to being sponsored by an eligible unit or organization of the University, the criteria for external organizations/ individuals use of University properties are:

      1. The activities are related to and/or have benefit to the primary functions of the University of teaching, research, or public service related to teaching or research. The activities must be a public service or of benefit to the campus in furtherance of University related purposes.

      2. All extracurricular use and unrelated use of campus facilities by non-university groups will only be scheduled when there is no interference with the university's basic programs. In addition, in order to mitigate potential scheduling conflicts with academic programs, non-academic groups may reserve facilities no more than twenty-four (24) months in advance of the event. Exceptions to this policy must have the approval of the Vice Chancellor or designee.

      3. No off-campus publicity to the public for a program which involves the use of a University facility may be released without the prior approval of the University sponsor or the Campus Conference Services Office.

      4. The external agency/individual is not engaging in fund raising except as allowed by the fund-raising policy in Section XI.

      5. The external agency/individual is not using University facilities for promotional activities of a political or religious nature.

      6. Use of the University's name shall be limited to sponsorship or co-sponsorship by a specific University unit.

      7. If the external organization/individual is a "promoter", the event must be co-sponsored by the University Events Office.

      8. If the external organization/individual is a "profit organization" in addition to the activity being related to the primary functions of the University, there must be a substantial benefit for the campus which justifies the use of University properties for profit.

      9. If the external organization is Government related, it must operate under the auspices of a Federal, State, or local Government agency, district, or board.

      10. The facilities of the University of California, San Diego are not available for rent, lease, or other form of assignment to organizations, groups or individuals offering programs or courses of study, which are purported to satisfy requirements for the award of degrees, diplomas, certificates, or other evidence of completion of academic work at the post-secondary level and higher.

        The policy does not apply to academic programs sponsored by other campuses of the University of California, or to programs sponsored jointly by proper academic units of the Universty of California, San Diego and other academic institutions, provided that the latter programs have been approved by the Committee on Educational Policy and Courses of the Academic Senate.

        If instruction is being offered, such instruction cannot duplicate any UCSD program, and it must be open to qualified members of the UCSD community. In addition to being sponsored by the appropriate academic department, instruction must be approved by the Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs who will seek advice from the sponsoring department or unit, along with the appropriate academic dean or director.

      The meeting of all criteria for approval does not result in automatic acceptance. The University retains the right of denial for use based upon conflict with University activities.

    5. Policy

      External organizations or individuals shall not be assigned permanent space unless:

      1. Conducting on-site business pertaining to the University or a contracted service;

      2. Leasing University space which is surplus to University needs.

      Only a non-profit organization conducting instruction, research, or health care functions would be eligible for a lease of University property.

      All related costs for using UCSD facilities will be charged to any group using the facilities. These charges will include all identifiable costs related to the event, including supervision, equipment, custodial services, utilities, insurance where appropriate and damages. A facility use fee charge will be made in accordance with campus policies.

      Support services normally provided to conferences will be available at cost plus overhead. Only auxiliary enterprises which have rates established for the general public are exempt from the recovery of overhead expenses. These are Bookstore, Housing, Food Services, and Parking.

      External organizations and individuals can purchase goods at retail outlets only; for example, Bookstore, Revelle Sundry Store, Aquarium Bookstore, Coops, but not from University-operated Storehouses.

      University Libraries and parking facilities may be used through payment of the appropriate fees.

      University services will not be provided to external users for programs conducted off-campus.

    6. Procedure

      For use of University properties by external organizations or individuals, the sponsor and the external entity must complete a Request for Use of Facilities/Sponsorship form Exhibit IV-F. This form is available from the Business Office, 0925, and is to be coordinated with the following:

      1. SIO Director's Office for Scripps space.

      2. SOM Dean's Office for School of Medicine space.

      3. UCSDMC Director's Office for UCSD Medical Center space.

      4. Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs for Student Affairs space.

      5. Manager, Mandeville Center for Mandeville Center space.

      6. Director, Price Center for Price Center space.

      7. Conference Coordinator for all other space.

      If facilities are available and the proposed use meets University criteria and policies, the forms are forwarded to the Director, Business Office.

      1. If it is a promotional event, University Events must co-sponsor.

      2. If it is an instructional course, prior approval must be obtained from the Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs.

      3. If it is an event, the Request for Use of University Facilities/Sponsorship form must be forwarded to the University Events Office. That office determines whether there are any conflicts in calendaring and then drafts the form of Contract to be executed. The Request for Use of University Facilities/Sponsorship form and Contract are forwarded to the Director, Business Office.

      4. If it is a non-university group, the Campus Conference Services Office has the responsibility to:

        1. Review and make recommendations on University facility use policies.

        2. Make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor-Business Affairs or designee for institutional sponsorship of non-university groups requesting the use of University facilities or when the use of facilities is unrelated.

        3. The Director of Conference Services seeks background information on each request to use campus facilities after consultation with the University sponsor and appropriate service departments, if any, including data on:

          Nature and purpose of the use.
          Availability of the facility or special utility connections.
          Security, traffic and health and safety implications.
          Prior experience with the groups.
          Potential conflict with existing or scheduled University programs.

      5. The Director, Business Office makes the following determinations:

        1. Whether the proper type of Contract is being used and whether University interests are properly protected by the Contract's terms and conditions.

        2. Whether the proposed activity has been properly coordinated with concerned University offices.

        3. Whether the proposed activity is in compliance with University criteria and policies.

          Any proposed use of University properties questioned on compliance with University criteria and policies is referred to the Committee on Use of University Properties or to the Advisory Committee for General Space Utilization of the Mandeville Center by the Director, Business Office.

      6. The Committee on Use of University Properties

        1. Decides on whether a proposed activity complies with University criteria and policies.

        2. Grants waivers of sponsorship requirements.

        3. Reviews appeals resulting from denials on requests for use of University facilities; makes decisions on requests from external groups; and makes recommendations to the appropriate Vice Chancellor on requests from official campus units and registered campus organizations.

        4. Reviews proposed rates to be assessed for use of indoor and outdoor space recommending approval or changes.

        5. Decisions of the Committee can be appealed to the Chancellor.

      7. After approval has been secured from either the Director, Business Office or the Committee, the Contract is executed by the Director, Business Office and distributed to the proper offices:

        1. Contracts for calendared events are returned to either the University Events Office or the Mandeville Center.

        2. Contracts for activities in UCSD Medical Center space are returned to the UCSDMC Health Sciences Communications Office.

        3. All other Contracts are returned to the Conference Coordinator.

      8. The processing offices - University Events Office, Mandeville Center, UCSDMC Health Sciences Communications Office, and Conference Coordinator - bill the contracting entity for use of space, equipment, and services.

    7. Exceptions

      1. News media are provided access to University grounds and buildings at no charge through University Communications or UCSD Health Sciences Communications Offices.

      2. Professional photographers - still photo, motion picture, and television - are charged fees for use of outdoor as well as indoor space and must be sponsored by University Communications or UCSDMC Health Sciences Communications Offices. The Contract in this case is a Photography, Motion Picture, and Television Permit in conjunction with a Request for Use of University Facilities/Sponsorship form (Exhibit IV-F). University Communications is to forward the Request to the Director, Business Office indicating the Permit Fee to be charged. After the approved form is returned to University Communications, the Permit is executed and University Communications bills the contracting entity the Permit Fee.

      In conclusion, any request for use of University properties may be denied if the requestor does not comply with regulations contained herein or if the event presents a clear and present danger to the orderly operation of the campus. Denials of requests may be appealed by the requestor as follows:

      1. Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs for registered and recognized student organizations.

      2. Vice Chancellor-Business Affairs for all other registered campus organizations and official units of the campus.

      3. Committee on Use of University Properties for external groups.

      The Vice Chancellors-Student Affairs and Business Affairs may refer appeals directed to them to the Committee on Use of University Properties for review and recommendation back to the appropriate Vice Chancellor. The Chancellor shall be the final level of appeal for all requests.