Next Review Date: 06/30/2022
Issuance Date: 04/01/2022
Issuing Office: Chancellor's Office
Principles for Responsible Operation of University Locations in Light of the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic (https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/regmeet/may20/b2.pdf)
SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program issued by the University of California’s Office of the President” (available at https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-Cov-2 ) (“Covid-19 Vaccination Program Policy”).
The following terms shall have the same meaning as in the Covid-19 Vaccination Program Policy:
· Fully Vaccinated
· Physical Presence
A face covering or face mask is a surgical mask, a respirator (N-95 or KN-95 or KF-94), or a tightly woven (cloth) fabric face mask of at least two layers. A face covering/face mask has no visible holes or openings and must cover the nose and mouth. A face covering/face mask DOES NOT include a scarf, ski mask, balaclava, bandana, gaiter, turtleneck, collar, plastic face shield, or single layer of fabric.
B. FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS
Regardless of vaccination status, all persons must wear a face mask when indoors in classrooms or other instructional settings, in clinical healthcare settings, and on UCSD-operated public transit, unless an exception listed below in Section C applies. The campus recommends the use of N-95, KN-95, or KF-94 masks.
All students who live in UCSD-provided housing must wear a face mask in accordance with the Student Housing Safety Rules located at https://returntolearn.ucsd.edu/campus-guidelines/student-housing-safety/index.html.
Attendees at campus events must wear a face mask if required by the event organizer.
C. EXEMPTIONS FROM FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS
Face masks are not required in the following circumstances:
1. While obtaining a medical or cosmetic service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service
2. For workers who wear respiratory protection
3. For people with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability that precludes wearing a mask
4. For people younger than two years old
5. For people who are hearing impaired, or communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication or persons for whom wearing a face covering would create a risk to the person related to their work, as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines
6. For people for whom wearing a mask would create a risk as they work as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines
D. MORE PROTECTIVE RULES
Nothing in this Policy limits more protective rules and regulations promulgated by the UC San Diego Health System for appropriate conduct, including face coverings, social distancing, and other behaviors, within the hospital or other facilities where clinical care and related activities take place.
Nothing in this Policy limits more protective workplace safety rules and regulations, including rules regarding required personal protective equipment.
08/20/2020 Policy issued.
09/03/2021 This policy was reviewed, revised and reformatted.
09/09/2021 Link added for Student Housing Safety Rules.
10/20/2021 Exemptions to policy updated.
11/03/2021 Exemptions to policy updated.
04/01/2022 Policy revised and reissued.