Next Review Date: 06/30/2023
Issuance Date: 01/13/2023
Issuing Office: Chancellor's Office
Principles for Responsible Operation of University Locations in Light of the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic (https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/regmeet/may20/b2.pdf)
Policy on Vaccination Programs issued by the University of California’s Office of the President” (available at https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/VaccinationProgramsPolicy) (“Policy on Vaccination Programs”).
A face mask is a surgical mask or a respirator (N-95 or KN-95 or KF-94). A face mask has no visible holes or openings and must cover the nose and mouth. A face mask DOES NOT include a mask made of cloth fabric or other coverings such as a scarf, ski mask, balaclava, bandana, gaiter, turtleneck, collar, or plastic face shield.
B. FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS
Regardless of vaccination status, all persons must wear a face mask when in clinical healthcare settings on the UC San Diego campus or at a location operated by UC San Diego, unless an exception listed below in Section C applies. The campus recommends the use of N-95, KN-95, or KF-94 masks.
Attendees at campus events must wear a face mask if required by the event organizer.
C. EXEMPTIONS FROM FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS
Face masks are not required in the following circumstances:
1. While obtaining a medical or cosmetic service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service
2. For workers who wear respiratory protection
3. For people with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability that precludes wearing a mask
4. For people younger than two years old
5. For people who are hearing impaired, or communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication or persons for whom wearing a face covering would create a risk to the person related to their work, as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines
6. For people for whom wearing a mask would create a risk as they work as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines
D. MORE PROTECTIVE RULES
Nothing in this Policy limits more protective rules and regulations promulgated by the UC San Diego Health System for appropriate conduct, including face coverings, social distancing, and other behaviors, within the hospital or other facilities where clinical care and related activities take place.
Nothing in this Policy limits more protective workplace safety rules and regulations, including rules regarding required personal protective equipment.
08/20/2020 Policy issued.
09/03/2021 This policy was reviewed, revised and reformatted.
09/09/2021 Link added for Student Housing Safety Rules.
10/20/2021 Exemptions to policy updated.
11/03/2021 Exemptions to policy updated.
04/01/2022 Policy revised and reissued.
12/15/2022 Policy revised and reissued.